PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a flow model and a CSTR. The RTD they were given does not seem to be compatible with the setup they are working with, and they are not sure how to translate the information they have into something that can be used to configure the CSTR.
Andrew O Regan

Homework Statement

Here is the problem description:

Develop an Excel file that given a set of data from an RTD pulse injection will determine the model parameters of the following schematics, and then predict the conversion in a CONTINUOUS reactor with a n-order reaction (where n is not equal to 1)

upload_2016-5-9_11-47-48.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-5-9_11-49-8.png

upload_2016-5-9_11-49-36.png

upload_2016-5-9_11-49-56.png

upload_2016-5-9_11-50-22.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The above formulae were used in this assignment to take the user inputs and populate the excel spreadsheet.

upload_2016-5-9_11-52-25.png

The above formula is simplified to form the equation for the model which is calculated using varying values of alpha.

The flow model needs the roots of:
upload_2016-5-9_11-53-54.png

Pe is calculated from the known result:

upload_2016-5-9_11-54-26.png

This then generates the flow curve for Pe in excel.

Solving the equation above for this trial gives Pe=7.676. This was done in Excel using the Goal Seek function to find when the first term of the equation above was equal to the second.

As can be seen from the figure below, the term chosen for Pe gives a difference of 0.0152 between the terms.

upload_2016-5-9_11-56-41.png

To calculate the conversion, a further two equations are needed:

upload_2016-5-9_11-57-36.png

Where q was calculated using formula mentioned above.

The eventual conversion calculated for this run was 68%.

This is for the conversion exiting the PFR.

The difficulty I am having is with the CSTR. I don't know how to relate the two reactors.

I am treating this setup as closed-closed.

I do not know how to translate the information I have into setting up the CSTR conversion section, to find my overall conversion?

Any information/help in guiding me to a solution would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what they are asking of you. You show a plug flow reactor followed by a CSTR, and the plug flow reactor has axial dispersion. Somehow, you are supposed to find the parameters for this reactor system (the dispersion coefficient, the total volume, and the volume split) based on an RTD they give you. Is that correct? Let's see the RTD.

What is PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion?

PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion is a mathematical model used in chemical engineering to describe the behavior of a reactor system consisting of multiple continuous flow stirred tank reactors (CSTRs) connected in series. It takes into account the effects of axial dispersion, which is the spreading of the fluid stream due to mixing, in addition to the ideal plug flow behavior of a PFR.

What are the assumptions made in PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion?

The main assumptions made in this model include:

• Constant volumetric flow rate through each reactor
  • Complete mixing within each CSTR
  • Negligible axial mixing in the PFR
  • Constant density and temperature throughout the system
  • Steady-state operation
  • Homogeneous reaction kinetics
  • Isotropic dispersion coefficient

How is the conversion of reactants calculated in PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion?

The conversion of reactants is calculated by solving a set of differential equations that describe the mass balance and reaction kinetics in each reactor. These equations take into account the concentration profiles of the reactants and products, as well as the dispersion of the fluid stream. The resulting conversion can be used to determine the overall efficiency of the reactor system.

What are the advantages of using PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion compared to other models?

PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion allows for a more accurate representation of real-world reactor systems, as it takes into account the effects of mixing and dispersion. It also allows for the prediction of reactor performance under different operating conditions, such as changes in flow rate or reactant concentrations. This model is particularly useful for studying complex reactions with multiple steps or for optimizing reactor design.

How can PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion be applied in practical situations?

This model can be used in the design and optimization of various chemical reactors, such as plug flow reactors, packed bed reactors, and multiple-stage reactors. It can also be used in the production of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and other industrial processes where accurate prediction of reactor performance is crucial. Additionally, PFR with axial dispersion - CSTR in series conversion can be used in research to study the behavior of different reaction systems and to develop new reactions or processes.