Phase Diagram of Steel with unknown C content

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the type of steel (hypoeutectoid or hypereutectoid), the amount of carbon alloyed, the composition of ferrite and cementite, and the amount of eutectoid ferrite in an as-cast steel with an unknown amount of carbon. The speaker struggles with finding the weight percentage of carbon and using the lever rule to calculate the weight percentages of the phases. They also question if the concept of "as-cast" has any influence on the answer.
Knife

Homework Statement

Given that the overall weight percentage of ferrite along the grain boundaries of an as-cast steel with unknown C amount is 35.23%:

a) Identify if it is hypoeutectoid or hypereutectoid.
b) Identify the amount of carbon alloyed in the steel.
c) Identify how much ferrite and cementite are in sample.
d) Identify the amount of eutectoid ferrite.

Homework Equations

gA0x5MP.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that eutectoid is at 0.76 wt% C. If the wt% C is less it is hypoeutectoid, otherwise it is hypereutectoid. The problem is, the wt% C is unknown and I think I need to find that first to be able to answer a.

I'm given the weight percent of ferrite along the grain boundaries. I know there is a formula for computing the weight percentages using the lever rule, but you need to know the temperature in order to use the lever rule as far as our previous examples went, which is not given.

I really don't know how to start. The whole lecture is very muddy to me conceptually.

I don't think "as-cast" was mentioned in our lecture before, does this have any influence on the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Update.

a) Since the ferrite is at the grain boundaries it can be assumed this is formed above 727 C. By inspecting the phase diagram: Hypoeutectoid begins at the austenite area, then goes to the ferrite and austenite area. Thus, the answer is hypoeutectoid.

b) I just know that the answer should be <0.76 wt% C. I still don't understand how to obtain this.

Update 2.

This is why I am stuck at b, if I use the lever rule:

[tex]W_{pro-\alpha} = \frac{0.76-A}{0.76-B}[/tex]

A is the wt% C which I don't know, and B is at the solubility line which varies with T but I also don't know T.

Last edited:

1. What is a phase diagram and why is it important for steel?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the phases or states of matter that a substance can exist in at different combinations of temperature and pressure. For steel, the phase diagram shows the different phases that the steel can form at different temperatures, which is important for determining its properties and behavior.

2. How does the unknown carbon content affect the phase diagram of steel?

The carbon content of steel plays a significant role in its phase diagram. The amount of carbon present can shift the boundaries between different phases, change the temperatures at which phase transformations occur, and alter the properties of the steel in each phase.

3. Can the phase diagram of steel with unknown carbon content be predicted?

Yes, the phase diagram of steel with unknown carbon content can be predicted using mathematical models and experimental data. However, it may not be as accurate as a phase diagram for a known carbon content since there may be variations in the composition of the steel.

4. How does the phase diagram of steel with unknown carbon content affect its heat treatment process?

The phase diagram of steel with unknown carbon content is crucial in determining the appropriate heat treatment process. The heat treatment process is used to control the microstructure of steel, which directly affects its properties. Knowing the phase diagram helps in selecting the right temperature and time for heat treatment to achieve the desired properties.

5. How can the phase diagram of steel with unknown carbon content be used to improve its properties?

By understanding the phase diagram of steel with unknown carbon content, engineers and scientists can predict the microstructure and properties of the steel. This knowledge can be used to design and develop new steel alloys with improved properties for specific applications. It also helps in optimizing the heat treatment process to achieve the desired properties in the final product.