Phase equilibrium with unsteady flow

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an initially closed, pressurized vessel with a single species at dynamic equilibrium. The vessel is in the "wet vapour" region of the P-v-T surface and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation is used to describe the relationship between vapour pressure and temperature. The problem involves drawing some mass of liquid out and quantifying the energy flux due to vapourisation. The ideal gas law and relative volatility theory are also mentioned as possible equations to use. The approach to the problem involves calculating the volume change of vapour and using the Clausius-Clapeyron line to equilibrate the temperature. The question asks if this is a reasonable approach and if there are any
fizzybiz
Hi All - I tried this question in Introductory Physics, but thought I'd plonk it here too. Hope that's acceptable.

Homework Statement

I have an initially closed, pressurised vessel at ambient temperature, with a single species in it at dynamic equilibrium with some volume fraction of vapour and liquid. I am in the "wet vapour" region of the P-v-T surface, described by the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

I then draw some mass of liquid out. I view the problem in discreet terms, but could possibly model with a mass flow rate out.

In the real world, the vessel will cool - energy will be drawn into the vapour - partially from the effect of vapour expansion (thinking of the liquid rather like a piston in a cylinder) and partially from the effect of vapourisation of some of the remaining liquid. I presume if the mass flow rate is low, the expansion effect will be negligible. I want to quantify the energy flux due to vapourisation.

Homework Equations

Clausius-Clapeyron equation, describing vapour pressure at some temperature - the vapour-liquid equilibrium line in the P-T plane. ln(p2/p1) = (dHvap/R)(1/T2 - 1/T1)

Ideal gas law; pV = mRT

(heat flux at constant volume; Q = m.cv.dT; not used)

Possibly use the relative volatility theory described here (http://tinyurl.com/676gsb) for a binary, 2-species problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have approached this by first presuming the temperature recovers to ambient at every liquid mass increment drawn from the vessel. I have no model for heat flux across the vessel wall.

I draw mass m of liquid from the tank, then the volume change of vapour is easily calculated from mass/liquid density. I presume if the temperature remains constant that we equilibrate back along the clausius-clapeyron line, and that the vapour pressure remains constant also (not sure if that's valid). Then the new mass of vapour can be found from pV = mRT. The energy flux drawn into vapourise the mass difference is calculated from Q = dHvap.m.

I'd like to know the volume fractions of vapour and liquid, but I'm not sure if that's useful/misleading.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, the question is - does this seem a reasonable approach to quantifying the energy flux due to vapourisation? If not, can anyone suggest an alternative approach?Thanks in advance for any help.

Related to Phase equilibrium with unsteady flow

1. What is phase equilibrium with unsteady flow?

Phase equilibrium with unsteady flow is a phenomenon that occurs when a system is undergoing changes in flow rate or pressure, causing changes in the equilibrium state of its phases. This can result in changes in the physical properties of the system, such as temperature and composition.

2. How does unsteady flow affect phase equilibrium?

Unsteady flow can cause changes in the equilibrium state of a system's phases, as well as changes in the physical properties of the system. This is because unsteady flow can alter the rates of mass and energy transfer within the system, leading to changes in the distribution of phases.

3. What factors influence phase equilibrium with unsteady flow?

There are several factors that can influence phase equilibrium with unsteady flow, such as flow rate, pressure, temperature, and composition of the system. Changes in any of these factors can affect the equilibrium state of the system's phases and alter the physical properties of the system.

4. How is phase equilibrium with unsteady flow studied?

Phase equilibrium with unsteady flow is typically studied through experimental methods, such as using a flow loop to simulate unsteady flow conditions and measuring the changes in phase distribution and physical properties. Mathematical models can also be used to predict and understand the behavior of the system under unsteady flow conditions.

5. Why is understanding phase equilibrium with unsteady flow important?

Understanding phase equilibrium with unsteady flow is important in various fields, such as chemical engineering, environmental science, and material science. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of systems undergoing changes in flow conditions, which is crucial in designing and optimizing processes and systems for various applications.