Phase of a wave - My interpretation

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of phase and how it relates to a traveling wave. It is described as the argument of a harmonic function and represents the angle of the sine or cosine function. In a traveling wave, the constant phase travels at the speed of propagation of the wave. The equation for a traveling wave is discussed, with emphasis on why the phase is represented as ##kx-\omega t##. Similar reasoning is used to explain a wave traveling to the left, with the equation ##y=A \sin \large(\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x + vt)\large)##. Finally, it is concluded that the phase being constant means that the wave is traveling at a constant speed.
Shreya
Homework Statement
I have always wondered what the phase of a wave means. I came up with something and I would really appreciate if someone could help me verify it and possibly find out flaws in it.
Relevant Equations
My textbook says: $$y = A \sin (kx - \omega t)$$ $$ y = A \sin k (x - vt)$$ $$y=A \sin (\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x - vt)$$ as ##\frac w k = v##
Let's begin my interpretation: (please refer the image below). There I have considered a point in the disturbance/wave (let's call it ##P##),(not a particle of the medium) and I follow it as the wave progresses. The solid curve is a Pic of the wave at ##t=0## and the dotted one is its Pic at some later time. The point in the disturbance has moved by ##vt##. So, the ##x - vt## in the equation can be interpreted as the intital distance of point P. On Dividing that by ##\lambda##, we get 'what part of the cycle was the point at initially' or the initial state. And on multiplying it by ##2\pi##, we are coverting that to 'what part of a complete revolution'. Finally taking the ##\sin## of it and multiplying with ##A## we get the ##y## value.

I would love to see comments on this & Understand any mistakes I've made. Thanks in Advance.
(Edit: Sorry for the blurry image, I have updated it)

20221015_200536.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of phase is the argument of the harmonic function, i.e. what's between the parentheses. It the angle the sine (or cosine) of which you are to consider. In a traveling wave a constant phase travels at the speed of propagation of the wave.

Likes Shreya
kuruman said:
The definition of phase is the argument of the harmonic function, i.e. what's between the parentheses. It the angle the sine (or cosine) of which you are to consider
Yes, I understand that. But, my attempt above was to justify why it is what it is or, rather, why we put ##kx-\omega t## as the phase.

Last edited:
Shreya said:
Yes, I understand that. But, my attempt above was to justify why it is what it is or, rather, why we put ##kx-\omega t## as the phase.
Because that is how we describe a wave traveling to the right. If you look at the equivalent formulation ##y=A \sin \large(\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x - vt)\large)##, you will clearly see why that is. As ##t## increases (which it always does) ##x## must also increase to keep the phase constant. In other words the constant phase travels at speed ##v##.

Look at the square dot in your drawing. Assume that at ##t=0## its coordinates are ##(x_0,y_0)##. At ##t=t_1## you want ##y(x_1,t_1) = y(x_0,0)## units. For ##y## to have the same value at the two different times and positions, the phase must be the same, $$\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x_1 - vt_1)=\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x_0 - 0) \implies x_1-x_0=vt_1$$This says that the square dot is at distance ##vt_1## away from where it started. In other words, the constant phase travels at speed ##v##.

You can consolidate your understanding and use similar reasoning to convince yourself that ##y=A \sin \large(\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x + vt)\large)## describes a wave traveling to the left.

On edit: Deleted extraneous ##=0## in the equation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Shreya
kuruman said:
Because that is how we describe a wave traveling to the right. If you look at the equivalent formulation ##y=A \sin \large(\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x - vt)\large)##, you will clearly see why that is. As ##t## increases (which it always does) ##x## must also increase to keep the phase constant. In other words the constant phase travels at speed ##v##.

Look at the square dot in your drawing. Assume that at ##t=0## its coordinates are ##(x_0,y_0)##. At ##t=t_1## you want ##y(x_1,t_1) = y(x_0,0)## units. For ##y## to have the same value at the two different times and positions, the phase must be the same, $$\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x_1 - vt_1)=\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x_0 - 0)=0 \implies x_1-x_0=vt_1$$This says that the square dot is at distance ##vt_1## away from where it started. In other words, the constant phase travels at speed ##v##.

You can consolidate your understanding and use similar reasoning to convince yourself that ##y=A \sin \large(\frac {2\pi} {\lambda} (x + vt)\large)## describes a wave traveling to the left.
Thanks a million @kuruman, I had this question in the back of my mind for months. Now I can see why the phase is so, and I can also understand what it means for phase to be constant . 🙏

Ps: Sorry for the late reply. I'm from a different time zone.

Likes kuruman

1. What is the phase of a wave?

The phase of a wave is a measure of its position within one complete cycle. It is often described in degrees or radians, with 360 degrees or 2π radians representing one full cycle.

2. How is the phase of a wave determined?

The phase of a wave is determined by its position in space and time. It can be calculated by measuring the distance from a fixed point to the wave's highest point, known as the crest, and dividing that by the wavelength of the wave.

3. What is the difference between phase and frequency?

While phase is a measure of position within a cycle, frequency is a measure of how many cycles occur in a given time period. Frequency is measured in hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

4. How does the phase of a wave affect its behavior?

The phase of a wave can affect its interference with other waves. When two waves are in phase, their crests and troughs align, resulting in constructive interference and a larger amplitude. When two waves are out of phase, their crests and troughs do not align, resulting in destructive interference and a smaller amplitude.

5. Can the phase of a wave be changed?

Yes, the phase of a wave can be changed through various means such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction. These processes can alter the position and direction of the wave, resulting in a change in phase.