Phases of SHM & Wave Motion: Are They Equal?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of phase in SHM and wave motion. It was explained that phase can refer to the argument in the corresponding function, and if there is a difference of 2pi in the arguments, the phases are considered equal. However, this may be counterintuitive as two quantities with a difference of 2pi can still be considered equal in terms of velocity, acceleration, and displacement. The issue may stem from subtle differences in terminology, where phase can refer to either the point in a single cycle or the argument of the sine or cosine function. Ultimately, it was concluded that the second meaning may be more precise, with two waves having phases of 0 and 2pi being considered "in phase"
sadhu
My teacher told me that in SHM and wave motion phase refers to the argument in the corresponding function. then she said that if there is a difference of 2pi in the arguments then the phases are equal (sin ,cos function)

but isn't it wrong , i know that their effect in terms of velocity , acc. ,displacement will be same but I can't get how they are equal if their is a difference of 2 pi between them??

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the difference between [itex]\sin (\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\sin (\theta + 2 \pi)[/itex]?

they are same , but they are not the phases the phase is the term inside which is not same

Not sure what you mean. If two sinusoids are "out of phase" by [itex]2 \pi[/itex], then they are actually in phase. A phase difference of [itex]2 \pi[/itex] is the same as no phase difference at all.

I still think that it is counter intuitive, how can two quantities have a difference between them and then be equal , how can it be possible mathematically .

I think the problem here is simply subtle differences in terminology. People use the word "phase" to mean two different (although related) things. Sometimes it means "which point in a single complete cycle of the sine or cosine" and in that case [itex]0, 2\pi, 4\pi, ...[/itex] are all the same phase because they are all at the beginning of a cycle.

Sometimes it means "the argument of the sine or cosine" and in that case [itex]0, 2\pi, 4\pi, ...[/itex] are different phases. This difference can be significant when you consider oscillations over more than one cycle: phase = 0 is the beginning of the first cycle, phase = [itex]2\pi[/itex] is the beginning of the second cycle, etc.

I personally think the second meaning is more precise. I prefer to say that two waves with phases of 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] are "in phase," not that they have the "same phase."

Good clarification, jtbell. I like it!

Thanks for your clarification!

1. What is the difference between SHM and wave motion?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) refers to the back and forth motion of an object along a straight line, while wave motion refers to the transfer of energy through a medium. While both involve periodic motion, SHM is a specific type of motion while wave motion can take on various forms.

2. How are the phases of SHM and wave motion related?

The phases of SHM and wave motion are related in that they both involve oscillatory motion. In SHM, the phase represents the position of the object along its path, while in wave motion, the phase represents the position of the wave along its wavelength. However, the equations and principles governing these two phenomena are different.

3. Can an object exhibit both SHM and wave motion?

Yes, an object can exhibit both SHM and wave motion simultaneously. For example, a pendulum exhibits SHM as it swings back and forth, but it also creates waves in the air as it moves. Similarly, a guitar string exhibits both SHM and wave motion as it vibrates.

4. How do the amplitudes of SHM and wave motion compare?

The amplitude of SHM refers to the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, while the amplitude of a wave refers to the maximum displacement of the wave from its rest position. In both cases, the amplitude affects the energy and intensity of the motion or wave.

5. Can the frequency and wavelength of SHM and wave motion be the same?

No, the frequency and wavelength of SHM and wave motion cannot be the same. The frequency of SHM is determined by the natural frequency of the object, while the frequency of a wave is determined by the source of the wave. Similarly, the wavelength of a wave is dependent on the type of wave and the medium it travels through, while SHM does not have a wavelength.