Phasor analysis of transverse wave on a string

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using a phasor analysis for transverse waves on a string. The speaker suggests that by fixing the position, it is possible to focus on the isolated simple harmonic motion at that particular point. They also inquire about the relationship between various factors such as Young's modulus, tension, and frequency to a phasor. They also question whether the same can be applied to standing waves on a string. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing the possibility of the motion being simple harmonic under ideal conditions.
ashtadmir
The way we have a phasor analysis for a point mass executing un-damped simple SHM, is there something like that for transverse waves on a string.
According to me if we fix the position then we can focus on the isolated SHM at that particular position. Is there any way in which I can relate the young's modulus of elasticity, the tension, angular frequency as well as frequency of the whole wave to a phasor?
Can the same be done for a standing wave on a string?

PS. please explain in detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
it wou
ashtadmir said:
The way we have a phasor analysis for a point mass executing un-damped simple SHM, is there something like that for transverse waves on a string.
According to me if we fix the position then we can focus on the isolated SHM at that particular position. Is there any way in which I can relate the young's modulus of elasticity, the tension, angular frequency as well as frequency of the whole wave to a phasor?
Can the same be done for a standing wave on a string?

PS. please explain in detail.

he motion although would b oscillatory, wouldn't be simple harmonic.

Aceix.

Aceix said:
it wou

he motion although would b oscillatory, wouldn't be simple harmonic.

Aceix.
I am absolutely sure that the motion will be simple harmonic (assuming the ideal conditions)

ashtadmir said:
I am absolutely sure that the motion will be simple harmonic (assuming the ideal conditions)

thinking of it, there is a possibility.

1. What is a phasor analysis?

A phasor analysis is a mathematical tool used in electrical engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of waves. It involves representing a wave as a complex number with magnitude and phase, which simplifies calculations and allows for easy visualization of wave properties.

2. How is a transverse wave on a string analyzed using phasors?

In phasor analysis of a transverse wave on a string, the displacement of the string at different points is represented by complex numbers called phasors. The magnitude of the phasor represents the amplitude of the wave at that point, and the phase represents the position of the wave relative to a reference point. By analyzing the phasors, we can determine properties of the wave such as wavelength, frequency, and velocity.

3. What is the difference between a real wave and a phasor?

A real wave is a physical phenomenon that can be observed and measured, while a phasor is a mathematical representation of a wave. The amplitude and phase of a phasor do not have physical significance, but they can help us understand the behavior of a real wave in a simpler way.

4. Can phasor analysis be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, phasor analysis can be applied to any wave that can be described using sinusoidal functions. This includes electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and mechanical waves such as transverse waves on a string.

5. What are the advantages of using phasor analysis?

Phasor analysis simplifies complex calculations involving waves, making it easier to analyze and understand their properties. It also allows for easy visualization of wave behavior and can be applied to a wide range of wave types.