Phasors: How to go from Re{} to Re{}+Im{}

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of phasors in solving problems in the frequency domain. The two forms of V, V=cos(wt+\phi)=Re[e^{j(wt+\phi)}] and V=e^{j(wt+\phi)}, represent the same concept but are not equal in value. The phasor domain allows for easier calculations, but the final answer must be converted back to the time domain. The use of phasors is possible because of the mathematical properties of addition and multiplication. The conversation also mentions the importance and usefulness of transforms, but a rigorous mathematical proof for using P_0 as the voltage in the phasor domain is not provided.
jaydnul
I understand that [itex]V=cos(wt+\phi)=Re[e^{j(wt+\phi)}][/itex]

But when doing calculations (like loop voltage analysis or junction current analysis) you're just using [itex]V=e^{j(wt+\phi)}[/itex] (where all of the [itex]e^{jwt}[/itex] will cancel out and you're just left with the phasors)

Example: [itex]A_se^{j\phi _s}{e^{jwt}}=A_1e^{j\phi _1}e^{jwt}+A_2e^{j\phi _2}e^{jwt}[/itex]

So how do you get from the initial [itex]V=Re[e^{j(wt+\phi)}][/itex] to the form [itex]V=e^{j(wt+\phi)}[/itex] to do calcuations? Those two don't equal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
They do not represent the same quantity, even though they represent the same concept. It is an error to equate both to V; my book used v (lower case) for the time-domain value, and V (capital) for the phasor (or "frequency") domain value. The units are the same, but the values are not!

The important thing is that addition and multiplication in the phasor domain are very meaningful. But, to get the final, physically meaningful answer after doing these calculations, you must return to the time domain.

Edit: Transforms (like the phasor transform) are actually very interesting to me. They allow us to solve hard problems by instead working on easy problems that have no real connection to the original ones. It's just an incredibly useful coincidence that changes in the phasor domain can be mapped directly to changes in the time domain.

I'm rambling, but I wish I could convey this idea more clearly. Understanding it is very helpful as you learn more and more transforms.

Last edited:
Is there a more rigorous mathematical answer? So we define the phasor [itex]P_0[/itex] as [itex]V=Re[P_0e^{jwt}][/itex].
Now what is the mathematical proof that we can just use [itex]P_0[/itex] as the voltage in the phasor domain?

For a rigorous proof, we need a precise question.

The units of [itex]P_0[/itex] are clearly volts, so that much is self-evident. It is also evident that if [itex]V_0=Re[P_0e^{jwt}][/itex] and [itex]V_1=Re[P_1e^{jwt}][/itex], then [itex]V_0+V_1=Re[P_0e^{jwt}]+ Re[P_1e^{jwt}]=Re[(P_0+P_1)e^{jwt}][/itex].

What do you want to prove?

It's like counting people with your fingers; you are representing each person with a finger, because math works similarly for both fingers and people, but fingers are more convenient.

Or maybe I should sleep.

Aaaaaaaah. I'm an idiot.

I was confusing myself because [itex]\frac{Re[e^{j\theta}]}{Re[e^{j\phi}]}\neq Re[\frac{e^{j\theta}}{e^{j\phi}}][/itex]

But [itex]Re[e^{j\theta}]+Re[e^{j\phi}] = Re[e^{j\theta}+e^{j\phi}][/itex]

I'm good now. Thanks a bunch Nick O!

No problem! I'm glad that helped, because I haven't used phasors since learning them a few semesters ago, and I wouldn't have been able to make many more useful observations in my sleep-deprived state [emoji14]

Likes dlgoff

Related to Phasors: How to go from Re{} to Re{}+Im{}

1. What are phasors?

Phasors are a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal signal. They consist of a complex number with a real and imaginary component, and can be used to analyze and simplify electrical circuits.

2. How do you convert from Re{} to Re{}+Im{}?

To convert from Re{} to Re{}+Im{}, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and the inverse tangent function. The real component remains the same, while the imaginary component is found by taking the square root of the difference between the squared magnitude and the squared real component, and then finding the inverse tangent of the ratio between the imaginary and real components.

3. Why do we use phasors?

Phasors allow us to easily analyze the behavior of sinusoidal signals in electrical circuits. They simplify the mathematical calculations and allow us to visualize the relationships between different components of a circuit.

4. What is the difference between a phasor and a complex number?

While both phasors and complex numbers have a real and imaginary component, the main difference is that phasors are used to represent sinusoidal signals, while complex numbers can represent any type of complex mathematical expression.

5. Are phasors used in all types of electrical circuits?

No, phasors are primarily used in circuits where the input signal is sinusoidal. They are not typically used in circuits with non-sinusoidal signals, such as digital circuits.