PhD in EU (UK) vs USA: Pros & Cons

• Programs
  • Thread starter Griaumedis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Uk Usa
In summary: The process for doing this is longer but it might be worth looking into.Hi, I was wondering where to choose to do a PhD. At the moment I'm studying Physics and Maths in the UK. After three years I am going to get a BS. Also, I am an EU national and therefore will have obtained a 'setled' status after three years, so after that time my status will be equal to British citizens. I hope to get a PhD in Oxbridge, Imperial or at least Edinburgh University here. I am interested in theoretical physics, most probably particle physics.The main advantages of staying for a PhD in the UK are: free tuition, scholarship (roughly £15k per year
Griaumedis
Hi,

I was wondering where to choose to do a PhD. At the moment I'm studying Physics and Maths in the UK. After three years I am going to get a BS. Also, I am an EU national and therefore will have obtained a 'setled' status after three years, so after that time my status will be equal to British citizens. I hope to get a PhD in Oxbridge, Imperial or at least Edinburgh University here. I am interested in theoretical physics, most probably particle.

The main advantages of staying for a PhD in the UK:
1. free tuition
2. scholarship (roughly £15k per year, tax-free)
3. free health insurance
4. duration 3-4years
5. as far as I know, no need of becoming a TA

Disadvantages:
1. rainy weather
2. two taps in the bathroom
3. driving on the wrong side of the road

Can anyone tell me about the financial aspects and duration in the US?
Moreover, can anyone tell me is this is the working norm in the US? http://www.chemistry-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/a40kI.png

If it is, then the fact that US gradschools are the best in the world does not surprise me at all and I do not think that I would like to become a no-lifer and would prefer to stay in the Europe.

Can anyone tell me more about other good places to study? E.g. Switzerland (ETH), Sweden (Lund), Germany (Heidelberg, Munich)?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the states the PhD usually takes 5-6 years during which you get in most cases a full tuition waiver and a good stipend(I've seen everything from 16K to 25k). You should apply after your Bachelor's since the first two years are course work. If you want to get your PhD in Europe you will have to get your Master's first.

Well, as for Sweden you will have to get your masters first, they won't trust that you know anything otherwise. but there are some interesting research going on, check out Lund University, Uppsala University, Umeå University, and maybe Chalmers Institute of Technology, in a decreasing order of how good they are, and where Lund and Uppsala are much bigger than the rest. In Lund you also have MAX-lab, a national synchotron light source and "soon" ESS, though these are experimental facilities, there are theorists as well.

and as for funding, no tuition, and PhD are payed as far ad I know, and Lund is a lovely town (a town where 50-60% living there are in academia)

Griaumedis said:
Disadvantages:
1. rainy weather
2. two taps in the bathroom
3. driving on the wrong side of the road

Cheers to those highlights :rofl:

As for Munich, you got the TUM and LMU, however the PhD system in Germany is more or less the same. The TUM & LMU , both have active groups working on Physics beyond the standard model and so. TUM is an active participant in CERN activities. Munich also hosts the LRZ which offers computational facilities (clusters & supercomputing).

It is a paid position and does require a master degree or its equivalent. The pay varies between either 75% or 50% of the full PhD position, in numbers, The net salary for a full PhD position ~ 1900 euro. As far as I know, most people in Physics get 75%.
The duration is between 3-5 years (depends on many factors). Basically since the requirement is MSc, there are no required lectures for PhD (you can still attend lectures if you like).
Some tasks might include supervising labs or giving exercises, as per my knowledge, such activity is limited to once a week (e.g. one exercise a week).

In addition to the universities, there is also the possibility of doing a PhD at some external research institute (e.g. the Max Planck ones).

I can understand your concerns and desire to make an informed decision about where to pursue your PhD. Let me offer some insights into the pros and cons of obtaining a PhD in the EU (specifically the UK) vs the USA, as well as some information about other potential places to study.

Pros of obtaining a PhD in the EU (UK):
1. Free tuition: This is a significant advantage, as PhD programs can be expensive, and not having to pay tuition can greatly reduce the financial burden on students.
2. Scholarship: The availability of scholarships can also help alleviate financial concerns and allow students to focus on their research.
3. Free health insurance: In the UK, PhD students are typically covered by the National Health Service, which provides free healthcare.
4. Duration: PhD programs in the UK are typically shorter, lasting 3-4 years, compared to the average 5-6 years in the US.
5. No need to become a TA: In the UK, PhD students are generally not required to serve as teaching assistants, allowing them to focus solely on their research.

Cons of obtaining a PhD in the EU (UK):
1. Weather: The UK is known for its rainy weather, which may not be ideal for everyone.
2. Cultural differences: Moving to a different country can be challenging, and adjusting to a new culture may take some time.
3. Driving on the opposite side of the road: This can be a significant adjustment for those used to driving on the right side of the road.

Financial aspects and duration in the US:
In the US, PhD programs are typically fully funded, meaning students do not have to pay tuition and receive a stipend for living expenses. The duration of a PhD program in the US is longer, averaging 5-6 years.

Working norms in the US:
The image you provided is not representative of all PhD programs in the US. While some graduate students may work long hours, it is not the norm for all programs. It is important to research specific programs and talk to current students to get a better understanding of the work-life balance.

Other potential places to study:
Switzerland (ETH), Sweden (Lund), Germany (Heidelberg, Munich) are all excellent options for pursuing a PhD. These countries also offer free or low-cost tuition and provide a high-quality education. Additionally, there are many other top universities in Europe that offer strong PhD programs in theoretical physics, such as the University of Cambridge

1. What are the main differences between a PhD in the EU (UK) and the USA?

The main differences between a PhD in the EU (UK) and the USA are in the structure and duration of the program. In the UK, a PhD typically takes 3-4 years to complete, while in the USA it can take up to 6-7 years. Additionally, in the UK, students are usually required to have a research proposal and a supervisor before starting the program, whereas in the USA, students can explore different research areas and find a supervisor during the first year of the program.

2. What are the pros of pursuing a PhD in the EU (UK)?

One of the main pros of pursuing a PhD in the EU (UK) is the shorter duration of the program. This allows students to complete their studies and enter the job market sooner. Additionally, the UK has a strong research culture and a high number of prestigious universities, making it a desirable destination for PhD students. Moreover, the UK offers funding opportunities for international students, making it more accessible for those who cannot afford the high tuition fees in the USA.

3. What are the pros of pursuing a PhD in the USA?

The USA has a well-established reputation for its high-quality research and academic standards. Pursuing a PhD in the USA can provide students with access to top-notch resources and facilities, as well as opportunities to collaborate with renowned researchers. Additionally, the longer duration of the program allows students to gain more in-depth knowledge and experience in their chosen field. Moreover, the USA offers a wide range of funding opportunities for PhD students.

4. What are the cons of pursuing a PhD in the EU (UK)?

One of the main cons of pursuing a PhD in the EU (UK) is the shorter duration of the program, which may not provide enough time for students to fully develop their research skills and knowledge. Additionally, the UK may have a more competitive academic environment, making it challenging for international students to secure funding or a supervisor. Moreover, the cost of living in the UK can be high, especially in major cities like London.

5. What are the cons of pursuing a PhD in the USA?

The longer duration of the program in the USA can be a disadvantage for some students, as it requires a longer commitment of time and resources. Moreover, the competitive academic environment and high tuition fees in the USA can make it challenging for international students to secure funding or support. Additionally, the cost of living in the USA can also be high, especially in major cities, which can add to the financial burden of pursuing a PhD.