PhD on Loop Quantum Gravity (at UK): What's the best option?

In summary, your best options for a PhD in LQG would be Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, and Queen Mary, with factors such as the prestige and productivity of supervisors, university, and quality of life in the respective cities being taken into account.
_Daniel_
Hello guys! I hope that you could help me. I want to do my PhD on LQG at the UK and I have the following options:

1. Newcastle, with David Toms. (His research area is QFT on curved spacetime but he liked my project on LQG)
  2. Aberdeen, with Charles Wang
  3. Nottingham, with Kirill Krasnov or John Barret (not decided yet)

Also, I have the following options, not exactly related on LQG:
  • Sheffield, with Elizabeth Winstanley (on Quantum Gravity and Black Holes)
  • Queen Mary, with Juan Valiente Kroon (on Mathematical Relativity)

I wish to choose the better option based not only in prestige and productivity of supervisor / group, but also taking into account the university and the quality of life in their respective cities. Any information is welcome.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your personal preference. However, if you are looking for the most prestigious and productive supervisors for LQG, then Newcastle with David Toms and Nottingham with Kirill Krasnov or John Barret may be the best options. Both of these universities have world-class research programmes in this field and offer excellent research facilities. Additionally, both cities offer a good quality of life. For Quantum Gravity and Black Holes, Sheffield and Queen Mary both have excellent research programmes and supervisors. Additionally, both cities also offer a good quality of life. Finally, Aberdeen and Charles Wang may also be a good option for you, as Charles is very experienced in the field of LQG and Aberdeen is an up-and-coming university with great research opportunities. Additionally, Aberdeen is a beautiful city and offers a great quality of life.

1. What is Loop Quantum Gravity?

Loop Quantum Gravity is a proposed theory of quantum gravity that attempts to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It posits that space and time are made up of tiny indivisible units and that gravity is a result of the interactions between these units. It is still a developing theory and is not yet fully accepted by the scientific community.

2. Why is the UK a good option for studying Loop Quantum Gravity?

The UK has a strong research community in the field of quantum gravity, with several universities and research institutes conducting cutting-edge research in this area. Additionally, the UK has a rich history in theoretical physics and has produced many renowned physicists, making it an ideal environment for studying Loop Quantum Gravity.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in Loop Quantum Gravity?

A PhD in Loop Quantum Gravity can open up a wide range of career opportunities in academia, research, and industry. It allows you to delve deep into a fascinating and challenging field of study and contribute to the advancement of our understanding of the universe. It also develops skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical modeling that are valuable in any career path.

4. What are the prerequisites for pursuing a PhD in Loop Quantum Gravity?

In order to pursue a PhD in Loop Quantum Gravity, one must have a strong background in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity, quantum mechanics, and theoretical physics. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Previous research experience or coursework in quantum gravity is highly recommended.

5. Are there any specific programs or universities in the UK that specialize in Loop Quantum Gravity?

Yes, there are several programs and universities in the UK that have a specific focus on Loop Quantum Gravity. Some notable examples include the University of Nottingham, the University of Cambridge, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of Waterloo. It is important to research and consider the faculty, research opportunities, and resources available at each institution before deciding on the best option for your PhD studies.