Phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals

In summary, the conversation is about the phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals, specifically spontaneous emission near the band edge. The speaker is looking for help with drawing atomic population using MATLAB and asks if anyone has worked on this topic before. Another person suggests a relevant article and mentions the possibility of photonic analogs for topological insulators. However, the speaker clarifies that this is not exactly what they are looking for.
vtahmoorian
Hi everyone:)
Is there anyone who has worked on the phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals?
for example spontaneous emission near the band edge?
there are lots of articles specially from Sajeev John " spontaneous emission near the edge of a photonic band gap" Phys.Rev.A vol50 num 2 1994.
I am redoing his job as a first step of my idea but I have faced some problems drawing the atomic population with MATLAB.
I would appreciate if anyone can help me on this
Thank you in advance
Vahideh

Physics news on Phys.org
Good! but not exactly related to what I am looking for:s
But thank you for your sharing

1. What are photonic crystals?

Photonic crystals are artificial materials that are designed to control and manipulate the flow of light. They are typically made up of periodic arrays of dielectric or metallic structures with a periodicity on the same scale as the wavelength of light.

2. What is the band edge of a photonic crystal?

The band edge of a photonic crystal refers to the range of frequencies (or energies) at which light is either allowed or forbidden to propagate through the crystal. This is similar to the concept of band gaps in electronic band structures.

3. What is the significance of phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals?

Phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals are of great interest because they can lead to unique optical properties, such as strong light confinement, enhanced light-matter interactions, and non-linear optical effects. These phenomena are essential for the development of advanced photonic devices and technologies.

4. How does the band edge of a photonic crystal affect light propagation?

The band edge of a photonic crystal can significantly influence the propagation of light through the crystal. For example, at the band edge, the photonic crystal can exhibit strong light scattering, leading to the formation of photonic band-edge modes. These modes can be used to control and manipulate the flow of light in the crystal.

5. What are some potential applications of phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals?

Some potential applications of phenomena near the band edge of photonic crystals include high-efficiency solar cells, advanced optical sensors, and quantum information processing devices. These phenomena also have potential applications in telecommunications, optical computing, and biophotonics.