Disclose criminal record BEFORE interview?

• Other
  • Thread starter JonnyG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
JonnyG
I've been working as a software developer since April. I'm considered self-employed and I am working on two contracts, both with two guys who are in senior positions at a very large tech company (I won't mention the company's name). We get along well and they're very happy with my work. Said company is going to be opening hiring soon and they are going to get me an interview for a position on their team.

I have a criminal record for cocaine trafficking. As far as I know, they don't know of my record - although if they had ever googled me, the news articles would have shown up. I know the usual advice for someone with a criminal record is to disclose the record once they receive an offer and a background check is requested. Given how I am getting the interview, I'm wondering if I should tell them beforehand of my record? I imagine that if I get an offer after the interview, then I tell them about the record, it would make them look foolish when they have to go tell their boss: "Hey we didn't know this before but so and so has a record".

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this though, but that's my gut feeling. What would you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you be up front about it at the interview. Don't put it in your CV or initial application. It is not relevant until the interview.

Don't mention it at the outset of the interview but don't leave it until the very end of the interview - the first and last things are what will be remembered most from the whole interview. Try to turn it into something positive: a life experience which you won't be repeating and one which has given you valuable insight into making the right and wrong decisions, being accountable for and taking responsibility for your actions, handling difficult situations and turning something negative into a positive learning experience.

all the best!

AM

Likes Math100, pinball1970, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
I'm, not sure how one would work it into the interview. "Hash table? Funny you should mention hash...."

I might look into professional interview coaches, Yes, they cost money, but this isn't a one-and-done situation - you'll need to deal with this for the rest of your professional career.

• Haha
Likes Andrew Mason, pinball1970 and DaveC426913
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm, not sure how one would work it into the interview. "Hash table? Funny you should mention hash...."
I doubt there's any good way to do it. As long as it gets done though.

Me, I would simply wait for a logical break as things are proceeding and then start with "Look, in the interest of full disclosure I need to share this with you..." and finish with "...it was a dark time, for which I take responsibility but I'm a better person for it now..." or some such.

Likes Andrew Mason
I appreciate the replies. So just to be clear, if any of you were in their positions (the guys I am currently working with), you wouldn't feel slighted that I didn't tell you beforehand? I see them many times per week. I have ample opportunity to tell them.

Why would it come up in normal conversation?

(Well, modulo V50's hash table comment)...:wink:

berkeman said:
Why would it come up in normal conversation?

(Well, modulo V50's hash table comment)...:wink:

I'd hate for them to feel foolish for having vouched for me only for them to be blindsided during the interview. I'm not sure if I'm right that they would feel foolish though...

When I've made such recommendations at my work, I base it on my work experience with the person.

Likes JonnyG
JonnyG said:
I'd hate for them to feel foolish for having vouched for me only for them to be blindsided during the interview. I'm not sure if I'm right that they would feel foolish though...
I think this is a legitimate concern on your part. Not knowing any details, I would recommend you go with your gut feeling.

Likes JonnyG
JonnyG said:
you wouldn't feel slighted that I didn't tell you beforehand
Maybe. How do you propose to fix the past?

The longer you wait, the tougher it will be. You need to tell them, and it is not crazy to get professional advice for the best way to keep at least control over the narrative.

Likes Math100
Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe. How do you propose to fix the past?

The longer you wait, the tougher it will be. You need to tell them, and it is not crazy to get professional advice for the best way to keep at least control over the narrative.

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I think I'll do that.

Likes pinball1970
The Society of Human Resource Management has on its website stated that over 75% of human resource managers do not in general see a problem with a criminal record citing good work ethic, and company loyalty among other factors. Unfortunately, I lost the URL to that site with that info. It is said that about one in three adults has some criminal record so your situation is not rare.

I might add states have different laws on how to use a background check in hiring which you might check out. Professional advice does seem advisable.

A final thought, some may have a bad rap on the web due to name coincidence or other unfortunate circumstances so it is not unreasonable to ask if they will do a background check whereupon you disclose your past.

JonnyG said:
So get ahead of that.

Say "I hope you understand that I didn't share this bit of information with anyone until the appropriate time, and that this is the appropriate time."

Likes russ_watters and JonnyG
I plan on speaking to them this Friday. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Likes DeBangis21, Math100, gmax137 and 1 other person

1. What does it mean to disclose a criminal record before an interview?

Disclosing a criminal record before an interview means informing the potential employer about any past criminal convictions or charges that may appear on a background check or criminal record check.

2. Do I have to disclose my criminal record before an interview?

It depends on the specific company and their hiring policies. Some companies may require applicants to disclose their criminal record, while others may not. It is important to be honest and transparent during the hiring process.

3. Will disclosing my criminal record automatically disqualify me from the job?

Not necessarily. It depends on the specific job and the severity of the offense. Some companies may have strict policies against hiring individuals with certain criminal records, while others may consider the nature of the offense and how long ago it occurred.

4. Should I disclose my criminal record even if the charges were dropped or expunged?

It is always best to be honest and disclose any criminal record, even if the charges were dropped or expunged. These records may still appear on a background check and it is important to be transparent with the potential employer.

5. Can a potential employer deny me a job based on my criminal record?

Depending on the job and the specific company policies, a potential employer may deny an applicant based on their criminal record. However, employers are not allowed to discriminate against applicants based solely on their criminal record and must consider other factors such as the nature of the offense and how long ago it occurred.