Phosphor screen, hazards and demonstrations?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary, I don't think that phosphor screen can be used in a classroom setting."In summary, phosphor screens from old CRT televisions are not safe to be used in schools, and there is no easy way to use them for physics demonstrations.
mishima
So, for whatever reason, a student brought in a phosphor screen from an old CRT television. I was wondering:

1. if the phosphor posed any risk in a school setting, and
2. if there was a way to utilize it for a physics demonstration of some kind.

I assume they threw a rock or something at the vacuum tube, so it isn't in pristine condition. Looking from behind you can see the rainbow pattern:

DSCF3767.jpg

DSCF3768.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF3767.jpg
    DSCF3767.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 583
  • DSCF3768.jpg
    DSCF3768.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 588
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a link for the composition of some common phosphors used in color TVs (the P22 CRT phosphor):
https://www.fh-muenster.de/ciw/downloads/personal/juestel/juestel/CRT-Phosphors.pdf
The Green and Blue are based on ZnS (Zinc Selenide); with Cu (Copper), Au(Gold) and Al(aluminium) for the Green; and with Ag(Silver) for the Blue.
Red is based on Y(Yttrium) and O(Oxygen) with either Vanadium(V), or Sulfur(S), all with Europium(Eu) added.
This was found via: https://www.google.com/search?&q=phosphors+on+color+crt+monitor
(Google reports 1 600 000 hits)

When I was doing TV servicing over 50 years ago, the supposed 'wisdom of experience' or 'common knowledge' was "Don't get the phosphors in an open cut." I never did hear why, but I avoided doing so. The above referenced article also lists the particle sizes used. With a particle size of 2.1μm to 12μm, they are in the size range of being an inhalation danger. I haven't found any toxicity data but haven't done much of a search.

You could also ask a Chemistry instructor for his ideas. I don't think I would introduce this to a grade school class. By college level, much of the stupidity has dissipated. If you will be removing the shadow mask, to avoid particle inhalation, you might consider doing it under a fume hood or outdoors with the wind to your back. If there is a concern in the classroom, you could seal the screen itself with the phosphors in a plastic bag.

Please let us know the outcome and student response.

Cheers,
Tom

Some old radar tubes (such as the 7BP7) have a long persistence phosphor, type P7, which will glow for a long time after you shine a lamp on the screen. Ordinary fluorescent tubes, of course, also have a phosphor power coating, which has been used for home made cathode ray tubes,
http://sparkbangbuzz.com/

I've tried a few things with no luck, I assume because the vacuum is broken and these things simply aren't the correct magnitude of energy...

1. Shining a super bright shop lamp on it.
2. Arcing a tesla coil into it
3. Arcing a wimshurst machine discharge into it
4. Blacklight (UVA&UVB)
5. UV Laser

I was considering torching a small section I cut from it, but the unknown phosphor compounds bother me. I do have a fume hood.

This is now getting out of my field, so I asked others here for their take on the energy needed to make thosse phosphors glow.

"It's not my field so I'm sort of at a loss about how to point out the falacy. It seems to me that the energy required to light up the phosphors is orders of magnitude higher than what is being attempted. The usual electric field in a CRT for beam acceleration is around 1kV per inch for 12 to 20 inches. (somewhere around 12 to 16kV on the second anode.)

Just one result so far:

mfb said:
The excitations of the chemicals happen at a few eV, a low energy electron beam and maybe even UV should be able to excite it - just not as nicely focused as the original beam.

1. What is a phosphor screen and how does it work?

A phosphor screen is a type of screen that uses phosphors, or substances that emit light when excited by energy, to create an image. When an electron beam hits the phosphor screen, the phosphors emit light, which is then detected and displayed as an image.

2. Are there any hazards associated with using a phosphor screen?

Yes, there are potential hazards associated with using a phosphor screen. The electron beam used to excite the phosphors can be harmful to the eyes, so it is important to use proper eye protection when operating a phosphor screen. Additionally, some phosphors may contain toxic materials, so proper handling and disposal procedures should be followed.

3. Can phosphor screens be used for demonstrations?

Yes, phosphor screens can be used for demonstrations in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. They are often used to demonstrate concepts such as fluorescence, phosphorescence, and luminescence. Proper safety precautions should be taken when using a phosphor screen for demonstrations.

4. How do I properly dispose of a phosphor screen?

Phosphor screens should be disposed of according to local, state, and federal regulations. Some phosphors contain toxic materials and should be handled and disposed of with caution. It is best to contact a hazardous waste disposal facility for proper disposal methods.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a phosphor screen for demonstrations?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a phosphor screen for demonstrations. One alternative is using a fluorescent screen, which uses a different type of phosphor that emits visible light when excited by electrons. Another alternative is using a liquid crystal display (LCD) screen, which uses liquid crystals to create an image.