Photo Contest - Spin Angular Momentum (6/23-6/29)

In summary, spin angular momentum in a photo contest refers to the rotation of an object or subject captured in a photo. It can be measured by analyzing motion blur or using specialized equipment. A still photo can have spin angular momentum through props or capturing a moving object in a still position. To enhance spin angular momentum, one can experiment with shutter speeds and use props or editing techniques. There may be limitations to using spin angular momentum in a photo contest, so it is important to carefully read the guidelines before entering.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Spin Angular Momentum

Your photo must have, as its main subject, something that spins on its axis. For example, a windmill. You do not have to capture a photo while it is spinning. It is sufficient to show that the objects "normal behavior" is to spin on its axis.

If, however, you are showing an object where its normal behavior is not to spin, but that it can spin under certain conditions, then you must clearly show the object in that condition. For example, a person's normal behavior is not to spin. However, a figure skater can. So you simply cannot show a photo of a person. You must show a photo of a person who is skating and doing the spin on the ice.

Get it? Good!Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
2018-06-01 11.37.47.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-06-01 11.37.47.jpg
    2018-06-01 11.37.47.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 411
Likes BillTre and berkeman
That's a really big propeller! Why isn't it fastened to an airplane?

Likes davenn and BillTre
DennisN said:
That's a really big propeller! Why isn't it fastened to an airplane?

Sigh. It is fastened to Earth to keep it revolving.

Likes DrClaude, davenn, BillTre and 3 others
Likes LLD1231, berkeman and DennisN
paratroop.jpg

Attachments

• paratroop.jpg
    paratroop.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 393
Likes BillTre, berkeman and LLD1231
angularmomentum.jpg

Attachments

• angularmomentum.jpg
    angularmomentum.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 712
Likes DrClaude, BillTre and LLD1231
figit.jpg

Attachments

• figit.jpg
    figit.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 367
Likes DrClaude, LLD1231, BillTre and 1 other person
@Janus, congratulations, you caught it in superposition!

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
You have a CO detector in that room, correct?
Incorrect, but not my house. It's a screened in porch, no glass panes, open to the outside on three sides. However, there is a fire extinguisher (not seen).

I know it's boring, but we have to promote our DIY section!

upload_2018-6-25_20-2-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-25_20-2-14.png
    upload_2018-6-25_20-2-14.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 422
Likes LLD1231 and DennisN
DennisN said:
That's a nice hammer, @fresh_42!
To a nail everything looks like a hammer.

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
That's a nice hammer, @fresh_42!
The electrical motor has at least enough weight to use it like a hammer! I first thought of a HD but this damn thing didn't open although I removed six screws, and other old HD had screws I haven't a screwdriver for. Hope I'll never need a strong magnet. The next thought has been the drilling machine, but this little thing was easier to grab.

Likes DennisN
Way to drill down to the solution without screwing it up (said with a twist)!

Likes DennisN and LLD1231
kuruman said:
Incorrect, but not my house. It's a screened in porch, no glass panes, open to the outside on three sides. However, there is a fire extinguisher (not seen).
Sent you a PM about this, to avoid derailing the photo thread. :smile:

marzena_spin_angular_momentum.jpg

Attachments

• marzena_spin_angular_momentum.jpg
    marzena_spin_angular_momentum.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 424
Likes BillTre and LLD1231
I thought there would be lots like this.

DSCN9969.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN9969.JPG
    DSCN9969.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 340
Likes jtbell and LLD1231
A spinning coin caught in a superposition of heads and tails.
I did not observe if it became heads or tails, and no-one else was around, so maybe it is still in a superposition... :smile:
41231518910_fc51776c9f_c.jpg

Attachments

• 41231518910_fc51776c9f_c.jpg
    41231518910_fc51776c9f_c.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 322
Likes DrClaude, Rubidium_71, LLD1231 and 1 other person
If you took the picture so that the line of sight were parallel to the surface, it would be ##Heads\cos \theta+Tails\sin \theta##. Clearly, ##\theta## is a hidden variable. :smile:

Likes LLD1231 and DennisN
Sierra.jpg

Attachments

• Sierra.jpg
    Sierra.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 274
Likes LLD1231
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is spin angular momentum in a photo contest?

Spin angular momentum in a photo contest refers to the rotation of an object or subject captured in a photo. It is a measure of the angular momentum of an object in motion.

2. How is spin angular momentum measured in a photo?

Spin angular momentum can be measured by determining the speed and direction of rotation of the object or subject in the photo. This can be done by analyzing the motion blur or using specialized equipment such as a gyroscope.

3. Can a still photo have spin angular momentum?

Yes, a still photo can have spin angular momentum. This can be achieved through the use of props or by capturing a moving object in a still position, giving the illusion of rotation.

4. How can I enhance the spin angular momentum in my photo?

To enhance the spin angular momentum in your photo, you can experiment with different shutter speeds and capture a moving object or subject in a way that emphasizes its rotation. You can also use props or editing techniques to add visual cues of rotation.

5. Are there any limitations to using spin angular momentum in a photo contest?

There may be limitations to using spin angular momentum in a photo contest, depending on the specific rules and criteria set by the contest organizers. It is important to carefully read the guidelines to ensure that your photo meets all requirements for entry.