Photodiode current estimate in an Infrared Proximity sensor

In summary, the current drawn from a photodiode in a proximity sensor application will be inversely proportional to the half angle between the sensor and the target.
vst98
I am trying to estimate a current which I can get from the photodiode in a simple proximity sensor application
having a IR LED emitter and a photo-diode detector. The LED and the photodiode are mounted in the same plane, on a PCB board, and separated about 10mm.
If I have a flat Lambertian surface (like a gray card) parallel to the PCB and a LED emitter like VSMY2850 where all
of the emitted power is inside the half angle, then irradiance at the photodiode (detector) can be found from

Ed = Ls * π * sin21/2)

(Field guide to Radiometry p.23, Irradiance from a Lambertian disk)

I think Ls can be written as

Ls = M/π = R*Es

where R is the reflectance of the Lambertian surface (gray card) and Es is the irradiance of the disk.
Since all of the radiated power of the VSMY2850 is contained within its half angle

Es= P/A = P/(a2*π)

a - radius of Lambertian disk
P - radiant power emitted on the disk from the LED (~ 55mW for 100mA)

but since tan(θ1/2)=a/d , I have

Ed ~ 1/d2 *cos21/2)

So for θ1/2=10°
Ed ~ 1/d2 * 0.970

and for say θ1/2=3°
Ed ~ 1/d2 * 0.997

This made me a little confused, considering the same power, if I used LED with 3° (typical for highly focused LED) or If I placed a lens (like a PMMA Plano convex) on the VSMY2850 to get more focused beam from it, not much would change in terms of the current I would get from the photodiode.
I'm not sure if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
By using a narrow angle LED (or an additional lens on the LED), the LED beam spot would start to overspill the target at greater distances then when using wider angle LED.
This is where I can see an advantage if I choose a narrow angle LED.
But if the whole LED beam spot is on the target, difference between 3° and 10° half angle LED's are not much, right ?

d is the distance between the sensor plane and the target and the distance under consideration are from about ~0.5m to maximum I can get.
(forgot to write this in my first post)

1. What is a photodiode?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light energy into electrical current. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as cameras, solar cells, and proximity sensors.

2. How does a photodiode work in an infrared proximity sensor?

In an infrared proximity sensor, the photodiode is used to detect changes in infrared light. When an object comes close to the sensor, it reflects infrared light back onto the photodiode, causing it to generate an electrical current. This current is then used to determine the distance of the object from the sensor.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the photodiode current estimate in an infrared proximity sensor?

The accuracy of the photodiode current estimate in an infrared proximity sensor can be affected by various factors such as ambient light, temperature, and the reflectivity of the object being detected. It is important to calibrate the sensor to account for these factors and ensure accurate readings.

4. Can the photodiode current estimate be used to determine the size of an object?

No, the photodiode current estimate in an infrared proximity sensor is primarily used to measure the distance of an object from the sensor. It cannot be used to accurately determine the size of an object.

5. How is the photodiode current estimate converted into a distance measurement?

The photodiode current estimate is converted into a distance measurement using a mathematical formula that takes into account the sensor's calibration, the intensity of the reflected light, and the speed of light. This calculation results in a distance measurement in millimeters or inches, depending on the unit of the sensor.