Light pulse measurement with photodiodes

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of measuring high light pulses using photodiodes. The light levels are expected to be upwards of 2-3W of irradiance with pulse-widths ranging from 20uSec to 1mSec. One proposed solution is to use crossed polarizers to attenuate the light signal, while another suggestion is to use a thermal power meter. The issue of the CW component of the input exciting the diode and causing saturation is also mentioned, along with the possibility of using a complicated circuit with an input trigger to only measure the instants when a pulse hits the diode.
jstamour802
I am trying to measure very high light pulses by using photodiodes. Light levels are expected to be upwards of 2-3W of irradiance.

Pulse-widths are from 20uSec to 1mSec. Example light source is a highly over-driven high brightness LED, typically 200-300mW in power (during recommended current levels)

My basic design is to have a reverse-biased photodiode fed into a voltage->current converting circuit. The pulsed light will excite the diode and the circuit should effectively convert voltage output from the diode to a current output so I can estimate the power output from the pulsed light by following a responsivity curve.

The problem is, I can't find a way to measure such high light levels with these devices. This is a very low-speed application, 10-20Hz. All the photodiodes I can find saturate at very low levels and I can only read low levels of power.

Anyone have any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you attenuate the light signal by some known amount? Use crossed polarizers at an angle that you set to a calibrated attenuation amount (using DC light to calibrate the attenuation amount).

jstamour802 said:
The pulsed light will excite the diode and the circuit should effectively convert voltage output from the diode to a current output...

From my understanding it is not entirely the "pulse" that excites the diode but rather the CW (continuous wave) component of your input that's exciting the diode. Thats why your diode is saturating. Most semiconductor diodes are rated up to several mW. The polarizer idea by berkeman is a good idea - utilizing something like "Malus' Law" :
See bottom of page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer"

Since your source is fairly broadband what about getting a Thermal Power Meter? They usually handle up to 3-4W. (Again measuring total average power)

I am currently trying to measure peak powers and have a thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221909
if that's of any interest keep watching, hopefully someone should have a good idea.

Indeed your pulses are fairly long compared to the carrier lifetime of a semiconductor diode, in which case you could probably come up with a (complicated) circuit using an input trigger from your pulse generator and only have the diode "looking" at the instants that a pulse hits the diode...I don't know how well that would work though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Light pulse measurement with photodiodes

1) How do photodiodes measure light pulses?

Photodiodes measure light pulses by converting the photons of light into electrical current. When light hits the diode, it creates an electric field which causes electrons to move, generating a current. The intensity of the light pulse can be determined by measuring the amount of current produced.

2) What is the principle behind light pulse measurement with photodiodes?

The principle behind light pulse measurement with photodiodes is the photoelectric effect, which states that photons of light can be absorbed by a material, causing the emission of electrons. This process is utilized in photodiodes to convert light into electrical current, allowing for the measurement of light pulses.

3) How accurate are photodiodes in measuring light pulses?

Photodiodes can be very accurate in measuring light pulses, with some models having a response time of nanoseconds. However, accuracy can be affected by factors such as temperature, noise, and the quality of the diode itself. It is important to calibrate and use high-quality photodiodes to ensure accurate measurements.

4) What are some common applications of light pulse measurement with photodiodes?

Some common applications of light pulse measurement with photodiodes include laser power and energy measurements, optical communication networks, and medical imaging. Photodiodes are also used in light-based sensors and detectors for various industrial and scientific purposes.

5) How can one improve the sensitivity of photodiodes for light pulse measurement?

The sensitivity of photodiodes can be improved by using amplifiers, which can amplify the small electrical current produced by the diode. Additionally, choosing a photodiode with a larger active area can increase sensitivity. Proper shielding and minimizing external noise sources can also improve the sensitivity of photodiodes for light pulse measurement.