Photoelectric effect and Planck's Constant

In summary, during a lab where the goal was to obtain a value for Planck's constant, a student got a value of 3E-15 eV*s. However, they are aware that they can get a better value by accounting for error when calculating linear regression. They need help figuring out how to do this. The student also asks for clarification on a method they used to find uncertainty in frequency. Another person suggests using error bars in Excel and removing any inconsistent data points. The student asks for further explanation on the method used to find uncertainty in frequency, which involves converting bandwidth from a spec sheet to frequency using the formula f = c/λ.
Gringema

Homework Statement

I'm trying to make sense of some data taken during a lab in which we were tasked with obtaining a value for Planck's constant by measuring different stopping voltages from varying wavelengths of light. The value I got was 3E-15 eV*s, but I know I can get a better value if I account for the error when calculating linear regression. What I need help figuring out is how to do that.

Homework Equations

V=hv-W

The Attempt at a Solution

http://tinypic.com/r/b7fm1u/5

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't know you could attach files! Here's the actual spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Photoelectric Effect.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 293
There is a lot of variation in the stopping voltage for some of the optical wavelengths - I would attempt to reduce the variance here. This is the cause of the not-so-great r^2=.92.

Your value of 3e-15 eV*s is not too bad for an undergraduate lab; the standard value is 4.136 eV*s.

Is there a way for me to give more weight to points with less error, or to account for error bars when calculating regression Excel?

For error bars with Excel:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/e...remove-error-bars-in-a-chart-HP010342159.aspx

You could exclude the data with the largest std. dev. - but you have to explain _why_ you did this in the lab report. I've never reported scientific or engineering data which has been "weighted" based on the error bars.

Usually if the error is inconsistent between the various cases it means that there are methodological, procedural, or instrumentation sensitivity issues. For example, trial 3 for 445 nm is way off the mean of the other four trials; could this be a transcription error? Was there something else happening with this trial?

Because that one point is inconsistent with the rest of the data (an outlier) document it, remove it, and run the regression without that one point.

Thanks for your help. I have one more question for anyone who knows the answer. What's the method I used to find uncertainty in frequency? It is shown in the Excel file, but I can't remember what it's called.

From looking at your spreadsheet it looks like you used bandwidth from a spec sheet; or it may have been called "line width" in which case you had to convert it to a frequency.

Yes, but do you have any idea what the process I used to change uncertainty in wavelength to uncertainty in frequency was? Something like:
deltax=((x+deltax)-(x-deltax))/2

Bandwidth is the range of frequencies in the source - your numbers look like lamps, not lasers.

If given as a linewidth (perhaps from a diffraction grating) then you have the relationship:

frequency = speed of light / wavelength

Then the difference in two frequencies is:

f2 - f1 = c*(1/w2 - 1/w1)

Related to Photoelectric effect and Planck's Constant

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or higher.

2. Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887, but it was Albert Einstein who explained it in 1905 and won the Nobel Prize for his work in 1921.

3. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant is a physical constant used to describe the relationship between the energy of a photon and its frequency. It is denoted by the symbol "h" and has a value of 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

4. How is Planck's constant related to the photoelectric effect?

Planck's constant is directly related to the energy of the photons that are involved in the photoelectric effect. The energy of a photon is equal to its frequency multiplied by Planck's constant.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect and Planck's constant?

The photoelectric effect and Planck's constant helped to revolutionize our understanding of light and energy. They provided evidence for the particle nature of light and laid the foundation for quantum mechanics, which is crucial in modern physics and technology.