Photoelectric effect -- direction of the electron's trajectory

In summary, the direction of electron movement in the photoelectric effect is not clearly defined, but certain orientations may be preferred in single-crystal materials. This aspect is utilized in the angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) technique. Further research on this topic can be found in the provided references.
mertcan
Hi, I would like express that I really tried to dig something about the formula related to electron direction in photoelectric effect, but I could not find. Also I have seen that electron direction in photoelectric effect is not known according to some sites in internet. So, ıs it real that in which direction electron goes when photon hits the metal surface in photoelectric effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
mertcan said:
Hi, I would like express that I really tried to dig something about the formula related to electron direction in photoelectric effect, but I could not find. Also I have seen that electron direction in photoelectric effect is not known according to some sites in internet. So, ıs it real that in which direction electron goes when photon hits the metal surface in photoelectric effect?

The direction is not defined. However, if the material is a single-crystal, i.e. the entire surface has a well-ordered crystal orientation, then there will be directions that are preferred. This is exploited in angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) technique. Do a search on this and you'll see it.

Zz.

Edit: References:
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0209476
https://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0208504

Likes sophiecentaur
You learn something every day on PF!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are ejected from a material when it is exposed to light or other electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does the direction of an electron's trajectory in the photoelectric effect relate to the frequency of the incident light?

The direction of an electron's trajectory is determined by the energy and momentum of the incident photons. The higher the frequency of the light, the more energy the photons have, and the more likely they are to eject electrons with a higher velocity and in a specific direction.

3. Can the direction of an electron's trajectory be controlled in the photoelectric effect?

Yes, the direction of an electron's trajectory can be controlled by changing the angle of incidence of the light, as well as the intensity and frequency of the light.

4. What factors affect the direction of an electron's trajectory in the photoelectric effect?

The direction of an electron's trajectory is primarily affected by the energy and momentum of the incident photons, as well as the properties of the material the electrons are being ejected from, such as its work function and surface structure.

5. Why is the direction of an electron's trajectory important in the photoelectric effect?

The direction of an electron's trajectory is important because it can provide information about the properties of the material being studied and the behavior of electrons at the atomic level. It also allows us to control and manipulate the flow of electrons, which is essential for many technological applications.