Photoelectric Effect Graphing, HELP

In summary, the conversation is about using a simulation to study the photoelectric effect. The steps involved are setting the cathode metal and light intensity, tabulating values and drawing a graph. The graph is then used to calculate Planck's constant and label the threshold frequency and work function. The conversation also mentions the need for converting eV to Joules for the calculations.
MRFISCHERRULZ

Homework Statement

http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Photoelectric_Effect

Part 6

1. Set the cathode metal to copper and light intensity to 50 %.

2. Tabulate eight values for frequency and photoelectron energy in Joule.

3. Draw a graph of frequency and photoelectron energy.

4. Use the graph to calculate a value of Planck’s constant h. On the graph, show the points that you used in the calculation. Include the units.

5. On the graph, label the threshold frequency and the work function.

Homework Equations

Run the Java.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. done

2.i have calculated 8 frequences, not sure how i would go about converting ev to joules for this problem. I know you divide by (ev) (1.6x10^19), this will give me Joules.

3. can't do without (2)..

4. i have gathered information from the textbooks on how i would go on about calculating the value of Plancks constant. Coming to the conclusion that it invloves obtaining the slope from the graph (3) nad using the slope.

Energy = hf - W
Vs x e =hf -W
Vs = (h/e)f - W/e

5. Threshold Function -This is where the function comes into contact with the X Axis.
Work Function - y int.

I thank you in advance, any advice on obtaining the graph would be greatly appreaciated.

Regards,
Fischer

Physics news on Phys.org
MRFISCHERRULZ said:

2.i have calculated 8 frequences, not sure how i would go about converting ev to joules for this problem. I know you divide by (ev) (1.6x10^19), this will give me Joules.

3. can't do without (2)..

The conversion factor eV to Joules is in fact 1.6 x 10 ^ (-19) [ie minus 19]

Since the Joule answer is smaller [much, much smaller] that the eV value - how would you use that factor to get a smaller answer? multiply or divide?

EDIT: everything else you said was fine.

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect was first discovered by Albert Einstein in 1905.

How does the photoelectric effect graph look like?

The photoelectric effect graph typically shows the relationship between the intensity of light and the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons. It is a linear graph with a threshold frequency where no electrons are emitted below that frequency.

What are the key components of a photoelectric effect graph?

The key components of a photoelectric effect graph are the x-axis, which represents the frequency of light, and the y-axis, which represents the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons. The graph also includes a line representing the threshold frequency and a linear curve representing the relationship between light intensity and kinetic energy.

How does the photoelectric effect graph support the theory of quantum mechanics?

The photoelectric effect graph supports the theory of quantum mechanics by demonstrating that light is made up of discrete packets of energy, known as photons. The graph shows that the amount of energy transferred to electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of light, rather than its intensity, which was unexpected based on classical wave theory.

What are some real-life applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, such as in solar panels where it is used to convert light energy into electrical energy. It is also used in photocells, which are used in automatic doors, streetlights, and burglar alarms. Additionally, the photoelectric effect is utilized in digital cameras and photocopiers to capture and reproduce images.