Photoelectric effect :Millikan experiment

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the work function of a cathode in Millikan's experiment on the photoelectric effect. The threshold frequency for the electron to be ejected was 43.9*10^13 Hz, corresponding to an energy of 1.82 eV. The question is which element or material has a work function of 1.82 eV. It is mentioned that the original data was from Millikan's 1916 paper and that there may be variations in reported work function values due to the conditions of the surface. It is also mentioned that Millikan was more interested in the slope of the line in the photoelectric equation rather than the work function itself. A paper discussing the original experiment is also
pepe1964
Hi, I'm a newbie starting to study physics on my own (at a later age (45)).
I've tried to find an answer to my question in this forum, the internet , books, etc... already.

I'm reading Modern Physics, Tipler & LLewelyn. On p. 139 he presents a diagram illustrating Millikans experiment on work function (photoelectric effect). I've seen this same diagram on numerous other physics websites.
(eg. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod2.html#c3

The treshold frequency of the incident light for an electron of the cathode to be ejected is -in this particular experiment- 43.9 *10^13 Hz.
Now, this corresponds to an energy of E=hf = 43.9 * 10^13 s-1 * 4.136*10^-15 eV s = 1.82 eV

Now my question: which element (metal) was this? Which material has a work function of 1.82 eV? I can't find any.

Am I messing up on this? I'm really stuck. Can someone bring some clarity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

That's a rather low number for the work function of a pure elemental metal. Alkalis and alkalines tend to be the lowest (2 to 3 eV), but are not suitable cathode materials.

Can you check again on the frequency of 43.9 × 1013 Hz? That's not written in standard scientific notation (the numerical part is not between 1 and 10), or in engineering notation (the exponent is not a multiple of 3), so I'm wondering if it could be a typo as written.

Another possibility is that the cathode is an alloy. Or, cathodes can have a non-metallic coating to lower the work function, but that would be an odd situation for an introductory physics problem.

EDIT: are they asking you to find the metal, or are you just wondering out of curiosity?

Hi pepe1964,

If I can just add to what Redbelly has said: The hyperphysics website that you got the 1.82eV value from says that the material was sodium, and also says the data is from Millikan.

The plot is from Millikan's 1916 paper 'A Direct Photoelectric Determination of Planck's "h".' You can find it in the Physical Review. (This is one of the papers that helped him get the Nobel Prize.)

So this measurement is from a very early experiment. Also, if I recall correctly, there is a lot of variations in reported work value functions, since the measured value depends largely on how the surface was prepared (how clean it was, etc).

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

That's a rather low number for the work function of a pure elemental metal. Alkalis and alkalines tend to be the lowest (2 to 3 eV), but are not suitable cathode materials.

Can you check again on the frequency of 43.9 × 1013 Hz? That's not written in standard scientific notation (the numerical part is not between 1 and 10), or in engineering notation (the exponent is not a multiple of 3), so I'm wondering if it could be a typo as written.

Another possibility is that the cathode is an alloy. Or, cathodes can have a non-metallic coating to lower the work function, but that would be an odd situation for an introductory physics problem.

EDIT: are they asking you to find the metal, or are you just wondering out of curiosity?

Thanks for the reply.
I'm just wondering, I am not at school (I am an economist who has made a wrong study choice 25 years ago :-)

The number they state is correct. It's also in the book MODERN PHYSICS, Tipler & Llewellyn, literally f treshold = 43.9*10^13 Hz.
The number also corresponds with the diagram.
I was also wondering if it was a typo, but since I found the same diagram in at least 5 serious websites (.edu), I became very puzzled...
Does anyone have a copy the original paper? I can't find it.
Many thanks again.

Last edited:
alphysicist said:
Hi pepe1964,

If I can just add to what Redbelly has said: The hyperphysics website that you got the 1.82eV value from says that the material was sodium, and also says the data is from Millikan.

The plot is from Millikan's 1916 paper 'A Direct Photoelectric Determination of Planck's "h".' You can find it in the Physical Review. (This is one of the papers that helped him get the Nobel Prize.)

So this measurement is from a very early experiment. Also, if I recall correctly, there is a lot of variations in reported work value functions, since the measured value depends largely on how the surface was prepared (how clean it was, etc).

Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying :"Don't worry about the number, it's fuzzy anyway." ?
But how could Millikan then have confirmed Einsteins PE-theory, on the basis of 'fuzzy' numbers?
Sigh.

pepe1964 said:
Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying :"Don't worry about the number, it's fuzzy anyway." ?

No, I would never say to not worry about the number. I would say that when it comes to the work function, there is more involved than just looking up a number in a table. If people want to measure the mass of the electron, they (should) get the same number, but there is a natural variation in the measurements of work functions, because the work function of a material depends on more than just the material--it also depends on the conditions of the surface.

For example, one handbook says that the work function values it lists are for a "reasonably clean surface". And you can imagine how much more control experimentalists have today than back in 1916.

But how could Millikan then have confirmed Einsteins PE-theory, on the basis of 'fuzzy' numbers?
Sigh.

In the photoelectric equation, the work function is related to the intercept of the line, and Planck's constant is the slope of the line. So Millikan was interested in the slope of the line, which did not depend on the work function.

(And again, it's not that the numbers are "fuzzy", it's that a sample prepared one way will probably have a different work function than the same material prepared another way.)

By the way, you might be interested in this (open access) paper:

http://www.europhysicsnews.org/index.php?option=article&access=doi&doi=10.1051/epn:2000303

which talks about that paper by Millikan, and includes a reproduction of the original plot. It also speaks a bit about how he made samples that were very similar to each other, and about what he thought about Einstein's theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, alphysicist,

This is great help for me getting the bigger picture.
The link is great too.

Many thanks.

Sure, glad to help!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect refers to the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or above.

2. What is Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment was an experimental demonstration of the photoelectric effect. It involved shining light of different frequencies on a metal surface and measuring the energy of the emitted electrons to determine the relationship between light frequency and electron energy.

3. How did Millikan's experiment contribute to our understanding of the photoelectric effect?

Millikan's experiment provided evidence for the particle nature of light and helped confirm Einstein's theory that light is made up of discrete packets of energy called photons. It also showed that the energy of the emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light, supporting the concept of a threshold frequency for the photoelectric effect.

4. What were the key findings of Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment showed that the energy of the emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light and is independent of the intensity of the light. It also determined the value of Planck's constant, which is an important constant in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the photoelectric effect have practical applications today?

The photoelectric effect is the basis of many modern technologies, such as solar panels, photoelectric cells in cameras and other devices, and photodiodes used in electronic circuits. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the nature of light.