Photoelectric Effect: Photoelectron Kinetic Energy vs. Frequency Graph

In summary, the graph of kinetic energy against frequency of light falling on a cathode in a photoelectric cell will have the same slope for both a cathode with a greater force of attraction to its electrons and a cathode with lesser attraction. However, the threshold frequency for the former will be higher than that of the latter due to the greater work function needed to eject electrons from a material with a stronger force of attraction. This can be explained by conservation of energy, where the energy of the photon is used to overcome the work function and the remaining energy becomes the kinetic energy of the electron.
5hassay

Homework Statement

A graph displays the kinetic energy of photoelectrons as a function of frequency of light falling on a cathode in a photoelectric cell. If the cathode is replaced with one of greater force of attraction to its electrons, describe how a graph of kinetic energy against frequency (like the former) for this would be similar and different to the former graph.

Homework Equations

None (that I know of).

The Attempt at a Solution

For similarities, they would share the same slope. This is true because it is known that Planck's constant h is the slope of such a graph.

For differences, they would have a different threshold frequency. This is true because it is known that greater threshold frequencies are required to eject electrons (produce photoelectrons) for materials that have a greater force of attraction on their electrons in comparison to ones with lesser attraction.

---

Personally, I feel that what I have said is true, but I might be leaving out important things that are worth the marks. So, any confirmation on my statements, the suitability of my answer for this question, and or help to direct me in the correct direction would be much appreciated.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track but there is an equation that explains that graph. It is conservation of energy, see http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/photoeffect.htm
The photon gives its energy to the electron. What is the energy of the photon? To escape from the "potential well" of the metal, some energy is used, (it is the "work function" of the metal) and the remaining energy will be the KE of the escaped electron. Greater force of attraction means a deeper potential well, larger work function. ehild

ehild said:
You are on the right track but there is an equation that explains that graph. It is conservation of energy, see http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/photoeffect.htm
The photon gives its energy to the electron. What is the energy of the photon? To escape from the "potential well" of the metal, some energy is used, (it is the "work function" of the metal) and the remaining energy will be the KE of the escaped electron. Greater force of attraction means a deeper potential well, larger work function.

ehild

Ah, thank you very much. I do understand. Also, thank you for that link!

1. What is the Photoelectric Effect?

The Photoelectric Effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the Photoelectric Effect related to the Photoelectron Kinetic Energy vs. Frequency Graph?

The Photoelectron Kinetic Energy vs. Frequency Graph shows the relationship between the frequency of light and the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons in the photoelectric effect.

3. What is the significance of the slope of the Photoelectron Kinetic Energy vs. Frequency Graph?

The slope of the graph represents Planck's constant, which is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the energy of a photon.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the Photoelectron Kinetic Energy vs. Frequency Graph?

The intensity of light does not affect the graph; it only affects the number of electrons emitted, not the kinetic energy of the electrons.

5. What is the threshold frequency in the Photoelectric Effect?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required for electrons to be emitted in the photoelectric effect. Below this frequency, no electrons are emitted regardless of the intensity of the light.