Photographing a Bird: Solve for Camera Lens Focus

In summary, to take a sharp picture of a bird's image reflected in a plane mirror with known distances x and y, one must set the focus of the camera lens to the sum of the two hypotenuses formed by the distances x and y. This can also be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of (x+2.1)^2 and y^2.
osustudent2010
Hi!

I am having trouble with this question:

You are trying to photograph a bird sitting on a tree branch, but a tall hedge is blocking your view. However, as the drawing shows, a plane mirror reflects light from the bird into your camera. If x = 4.3 m and y = 4.5 m in the drawing, for what distance must you set the focus of the camera lens in order to snap a sharp picture of the bird's image?

I know that the angle of incidence and reflection are the same. I have tried making right triangles, etc, but I can't get the right answer :(

Attachments

• p25-06alt.gif
    p25-06alt.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
In words, what do you think the correct length is?

i think the length is equal to the hypo. of the right triangle formed between the camera and the mirror

I think so too.

To find this lenght, set the unknown side of the small triangle (not the hypothenuse, the other one) equal to z. Find two different expressions for [itex]tan\theta[/itex] (the reflection angle). Compare them to find z, and then find theta, and then find the answer.

Last edited:
so, would one expression be tan (theta) = z / 4.3 ?

how do you find the other expression?

What you wrote is good for z = the "opposite side" of the LARGE triangle. Set z equal to the "opposite side" of the small one.

The one whose corners are bird-obstacle-mirror

so for the small triangle it would be tan (theta) = z / 2.1 ?

yeah

for the other one, I'm sure you can find it, since you can easily express the "opposite side" of the large triangle in terms of z too.

here is what i tried:

tan (theta) = (4.5 - z)/2.1

tan (theta) = z / 4.3

I found z to be 3.02, and theta to equal 35.1

then I found the hypo. to be 5.25, I submitted this answer but it is not the correct one, where am I going wrong?

osustudent2010 said:
so for the small triangle it would be tan (theta) = z / 2.1 ?

So far you have been working with two different z. It would be best to give them different labels. Perhaps z_u for the upper triangle and z_l for the lower triangle. Since you have two expressions for tan (theta) you can set them equal. That will give you a relationship between z_u and z_l. You need another relationship to solve for the z values. What is their sum?

You can do this problem a different way if you know how a plane mirror forms images. Where is the image of the bird? How far is it from the camera?

Edit

I had not seen your latest post when I posted this. I see you now have taken the different z into consideration. Looks like you have only found one hypotenuse. You need them both.

Last edited:
osustudent2010 said:
here is what i tried:

tan (theta) = (4.5 - z)/2.1

tan (theta) = z / 4.3

I found z to be 3.02, and theta to equal 35.1

then I found the hypo. to be 5.25, I submitted this answer but it is not the correct one, where am I going wrong?

The problem is in your first equation. Hint: you got the numerator right. lol

the image of the bird is located the same distance in front of the mirror as it is behind the mirror - 2.1 m

is that right?

quasar987 said:
The problem is in your first equation. Hint: you got the numerator right. lol

i don't understand what is wrong the equation, this is for the small triangle (bird-hedge-mirror) right?

Oops, I hadn't noticed that you switched the definition of z to "size of opposite side of large triangle". Ok, then I would say everything is okay...

Do you see what's wrong OlderDan?

quasar987 said:
Oops, I hadn't noticed that you switched the definition of z to "size of opposite side of large triangle". Ok, then I would say everything is okay...

Do you see what's wrong OlderDan?

The distance from the camera to the bird is the sum of the two hypotenuses. You need to find both of them and add. It appears to me only one has been calculated so far.

so would it be the larger hypo. (5.25)

and the smaller hypo. (2.57)

added together (7.82)-- is that right?

Ooh.. we though the answer would simply be the hypo. of the large triangle.

we have 9 tries to submit answers, i submitted 7.82 as my last try and it was right

THANKS so much for everyones help, physics can drive me crazy sometimes!

osustudent2010 said:
so would it be the larger hypo. (5.25)

and the smaller hypo. (2.57)

added together (7.82)-- is that right?

Looks good, but be sure to include your units. You could also get this result from

[tex]\sqrt{(x + 2.1m)^2 + y^2}[/tex]

because the image of the bird would be on the other side of the mirror at a distance of 2.1m. One big triangle with the hypotenuse from the camera to the bird's image would give this result

Related to Photographing a Bird: Solve for Camera Lens Focus

1. How do I choose the right camera lens for photographing birds?

When selecting a camera lens for photographing birds, you should consider the focal length, maximum aperture, and image stabilization. A telephoto lens with a focal length of at least 300mm is recommended for capturing birds from a distance. A wide maximum aperture, such as f/2.8 or f/4, will allow for faster shutter speeds and better low-light performance. Image stabilization can also be helpful in reducing camera shake when photographing birds in flight.

2. What is the best camera setting for bird photography?

The best camera setting for bird photography will depend on the specific lighting and environment you are shooting in. However, as a general rule, you should use a fast shutter speed (1/1000 or faster) to freeze the bird's motion, a wide aperture (f/5.6 or wider) to create a shallow depth of field and blur the background, and a low ISO (100-400) to minimize noise in the image.

3. How do I ensure my bird photographs are in focus?

To ensure your bird photographs are in focus, you should use a single-point autofocus mode and select the focus point over the bird's eye. This will ensure the most important part of the bird is in focus. You can also use continuous autofocus mode to track moving birds and keep them in focus. Additionally, make sure to check your camera's focus settings and adjust them if needed.

4. What is the best time of day for bird photography?

The best time of day for bird photography is early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the light is soft and golden. This will help to avoid harsh shadows and overexposure in your photos. Additionally, birds tend to be more active during these times, making it easier to capture interesting and dynamic shots.

5. How can I get a sharp focus on a bird's feathers?

To get a sharp focus on a bird's feathers, you can use a technique called "back-button focusing." This involves setting a custom focus button on your camera and using it to focus on the bird's feathers while keeping the shutter button half-pressed to lock the focus. You can also try using manual focus for more precise control over the focus point. Additionally, make sure to use a fast shutter speed and a stable shooting position to minimize camera shake and ensure a sharp focus.