Photography, the flight of the dragon fly

In summary, the author captured a beautiful image of a flying dragonfly with retractable gear behind its eyes.
Andre
The other day I posted this in the France thread:

Andre said:

And now, today I made the pic finally, which I had in mind when I bought this camera, a flying dragonfly. One of the most challenging ever.

I have seen more flying dragon flies and certainly in better quality, but I never have seen anything like this before:

20v0qpk.jpg

See what I mean?

I sent the pic to an entomology institute, asking about this behavior and got a quick reply. It is asserted that dragon flies avoid desorientation with keeping the head horizontal during steep manoeuvres. Actually this tilt is from an unstable hover, jumping left and right. This jump can be seen in the last two of this short series that I shot with 8 frames per second. So it took the dragonfly some 0,125 sec to reposition.

1:
10ykndh.jpg

2:
jue0ip.jpg

3: now we see a slight tilt of the body to the left, head remaining horizontal:
6qlf14.jpg

4: and the jump
2rpzall.jpg

The first shot is promoted to my best dragonfly shot. Here is a 100% size crop:

nbrtee.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre, the picture looks awesome! I can't believe you were able to capture it so well. I really like the second picture. I'm still having trouble trying to capture things in motion :(

Great job!

Thanks, actually, some years ago, I saw a picture like these and seeing the erratic hover flight of the dragon flies, I realized how difficult this shot must be. So thinking about that, the target is set, eventually that picture simply had to be made someday.

Apart from ones own agility and reaction speed, it also requires a camera that's up to that work and mine didn't (Canon EOS 550D), so as said, this picture was the main driver to upgrade to the super fast 7D with a very sophisticated focussing system (lens used EF 70-300mm IS USM - hand held). The is rest is hours of patience and a bit of luck.

Well you'd need to justify sometimes why you need to spend the money on such an expensive gadget, while any simple cell phone can do the trick.

Nice work :smile:

Andre said:
nbrtee.jpg

Retractable gear?

Thanks, yes, a very remarkable retractable gear behind the eyes.

Wow, I never knew that they did that. It reminds me of that thing that chickens do with their head, where their body can be all over the place but their head remains calm and level. Anyone who has ever picked up a chicken knows what I'm talking about. Amazing photograph!

1. What is the purpose of photographing dragonflies?

The purpose of photographing dragonflies is to capture their unique and intricate beauty, as well as to document and study their behavior and habitat. Photographs can also be used to raise awareness about the importance of dragonflies in the ecosystem.

2. What type of equipment is needed to photograph dragonflies?

To photograph dragonflies, you will need a camera with a macro lens, which allows for close-up shots, as well as a tripod to keep the camera steady. A telephoto lens may also be useful for capturing dragonflies in flight.

3. How do you capture a dragonfly in flight?

Capturing a dragonfly in flight can be challenging, but it is possible with the right technique. It is best to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the motion of the dragonfly. Additionally, try to focus on the dragonfly's eyes to ensure a sharp image. Patience and practice are key to capturing the perfect shot.

4. What is the best time of day to photograph dragonflies?

The best time of day to photograph dragonflies is during the early morning or late afternoon when the lighting is soft and natural. Dragonflies are most active during these times and are easier to spot and photograph.

5. How long does it take for a dragonfly to complete its flight?

The length of time a dragonfly takes to complete its flight can vary depending on the species and environmental conditions. On average, a dragonfly can fly for about 10-15 minutes at a time before needing to rest. They can also fly at speeds of up to 35 miles per hour.