Photoluminescence Excitation (PLE) vs PL spectroscopy

In summary: I think is indicative of the excitation energy being higher at those particular wavelengths. If I'm understanding correctly, this means that I can get more information about the emission level at those specific wavelengths by using a specific excitation wavelength?Yes, if you are using a specific wavelength to excite the sample, you may be able to get more information about the emission level at those specific wavelengths.
Jalo
I'm not sure I understand what information we can get from Photoluminescence Excitation (PLE) that we don't get from regular PL.

Let's imagine we have a sample with emissions between 700nm and 850nm. If I'm not mistaken in a typical PL experiment you'd just use a laser source with a wavelength lower than 700nm in order to observe all the transitions from the material. Would there be a difference between the obtained spectra if I used a 300nm and 600nm laser source wavelength?

Also, on a typical PLE for this same material which wavelengths would be of interest? Would I want to vary the laser source's wavelength between 850nm and 700nm? What information would I be able to extract from the obtained spectra that I wouldn't in typical PL?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
In many cases, the photoluminescence involves an internal energy transition between light absorption and emission events. The emitted photon has then lower energy than the absorbed one. The photoluminescence emission let's you investigate the higher energy state of this process.

The excitation energy has to match an absorption band to a state that internally decays to the luminescence emission band. If your emission is in 700 to 850 nm, and you use 300 or 600 nm, you may or may not observe luminescence.

Henryk said:
The excitation energy has to match an absorption band to a state that internally decays to the luminescence emission band. If your emission is in 700 to 850 nm, and you use 300 or 600 nm, you may or may not observe luminescence.

If I'm exciting on a wavelength lower than where my emission is shouldn't I always obtain luminescence, with the extra energy from the inciding photons leading to non radiative relaxation of the electrons until they match an energy equal to radiative transitions of the material?

Jalo said:
If I'm exciting on a wavelength lower than where my emission is shouldn't I always obtain luminescence
Not always. You need to absorb light first and that requires that the photon energy matches energy from the ground state (plus possible vibrational/rotational) energy to a higher energy first. If the incident photon energy does not match an absorption band of the substance, it won't get absorbed. The PLE is the technique that let's you scan the excitation energy (wavelength). I've done these kind of measurements myself and there is a definite PLE spectrum.

Henryk said:
Not always. You need to absorb light first and that requires that the photon energy matches energy from the ground state (plus possible vibrational/rotational) energy to a higher energy first. If the incident photon energy does not match an absorption band of the substance, it won't get absorbed. The PLE is the technique that let's you scan the excitation energy (wavelength). I've done these kind of measurements myself and there is a definite PLE spectrum.
What I don't understand is how is it different to excite the sample with a 300nm photon vs a 600nm photon for a material whose main transitions take place at for example 800nm, since both have a higher energy than the main transition that takes place in the sample. Shouldn't both photons be absorbed by the material and then relaxe through non radiative paths until they reach the main transition level, and from there decay to the ground state?

I ran a PLE experiment recently as well for a sample with emission around 800nm and while the PL spectrum shape didn't change throughout the experiment it was more intense for some wavelengths than others (with a peak at 760nm for some reason)

1. What is the difference between Photoluminescence Excitation (PLE) and PL spectroscopy?

Photoluminescence Excitation (PLE) and PL spectroscopy are both techniques used to study the light emission properties of materials. PLE measures the light absorbed by a material, while PL measures the light emitted by a material. PLE measures the excitation spectrum, which shows the energy levels of the material, while PL measures the emission spectrum, which shows the wavelengths of light emitted by the material.

2. How are PLE and PL spectroscopy used in scientific research?

PLE and PL spectroscopy are commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and physics research to study the electronic and optical properties of materials. They can provide information about the energy levels, band structures, and defects present in a material. These techniques are also used to analyze the efficiency and performance of photovoltaic cells and other optoelectronic devices.

3. What types of materials can be studied using PLE and PL spectroscopy?

PLE and PL spectroscopy can be used to study a wide range of materials, including semiconductors, polymers, nanoparticles, and biological molecules. These techniques are especially useful for studying materials with optoelectronic properties, such as light-emitting diodes, solar cells, and sensors.

4. How does PLE vs PL spectroscopy help in identifying defects in materials?

PLE and PL spectroscopy can be used to identify defects in materials by measuring the energy levels and wavelengths of light emitted by the material. Defects can cause changes in the electronic and optical properties of a material, which can be detected through shifts in the PLE and PL spectra. By comparing the spectra of a material with and without defects, scientists can identify and characterize the defects present.

5. What are the advantages of using PLE over PL spectroscopy?

One advantage of PLE over PL spectroscopy is that it provides more detailed information about the electronic and optical properties of a material. PLE can reveal the energy levels and band structures of a material, while PL only shows the wavelengths of emitted light. Additionally, PLE can be used to study materials with low emission intensity, which may not be detectable using PL spectroscopy.