Photon and Neutrino detector and photon trawl device

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a scientist using a neutrino detector to also detect photons, as well as the concept of a 'photon trawl' device for collecting photons from space. The writer acknowledges the need for some handwavium in order to make this concept scientifically plausible in their science fiction story. The importance of balancing scientific accuracy with storytelling is also mentioned.
ginov2000
Summary:: Hello I am a writer and presently working on treatment for a science-fiction story. So I am not a scientist, just a neophyte interested in science and wanting to write a fiction that would not be too far-fetched and that would make some sense for everyone, including the scientific community.

I would like to know the following: if a scientist is looking for neutrinos in a neutrino detector, could he (she) also find, detect photons (considering that a photon is massless)? (I can imagine you wince right now, sorry). Also I would need the protagonist to also develop a 'photon trawl', a device capable of collecting photons from space, and analyze the 'catch' using quantic computer and AI.

Bear in mind that even though this is currently impossible, it just needs to make some scientific sense. It is science fiction! :)

Best regards!

G. Vincelli

[Post edited by a Mentor]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ginov2000 said:
Also I would need the protagonist to also develop a 'photon trawl', a device capable of collecting photons from space,
Do you mean a telescope?

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK
Hello Anorlunda, this may sound like a weird idea. It would be a device I call a 'photon trawl' capable of entrapping photons just like a trawl entraps fish. A giant photon net. It could be based on the telescope. Maybe thousands of miniature telescopes on a device, and thousands of those devices interconnected and spread out across space, and each mini telescopes as powerful as today's best telescope... sci-fi... But my initial idea was that a photon could also be detected in a neutrino detector since they have similarities.

ginov2000 said:
Maybe thousands of miniature telescopes on a device, and thousands of those devices interconnected and spread out across space
Why not? We already have multiple mirror telescopes, maybe not thousands, but no defined maximum number of mirrors.

1633715054489.png

Soon we'll have the James Webb Space Telescope with multiple mirrors.
1633715126199.png
There's also no physics saying that one detector can't include multiple sensors to measure more than one thing at a time.

ginov2000 said:
I would like to know the following: if a scientist is looking for neutrinos in a neutrino detector, could he (she) also find, detect photons
You'll need some handwavium to do this, assuming you're keeping your sci-fi inline with our current understanding of physics. That's because, neutrinos barely interact so detectors typically comprise large tanks of some material that is well isolated where the occasional neutrino collision triggers an observable reaction...which often results in a photon, which is used to infer details of the neutrino. Basically, if you're looking for neutrinos, you don't generally want extra photons in your detector.

I used 'concentrated weak bosons' as my handwavium for a neutrino detector in one of my novels. Really, unless you're drilling into the sensor suite as a core part of the narrative, just make something up and get on with the story.

ginov2000 said:
...wanting to write a fiction that would not be too far-fetched and that would make some sense for everyone, including the scientific community.
This is tricky, as you seem to understand from your "this is currently impossible" observation, and especially if you do not have the scientific background sufficient to write an accurate account. My suggestion is to go hard on your plot and narrative, and use the science as a scaffold for that. Engage the readers with relatable characters, emotional exposition, and imaginative concepts and don't worry about making it technically correct. You're writing a novel, not a user manual, after all!

ginov2000 said:
wanting to write a fiction that would not be too far-fetched and that would make some sense for everyone, including the scientific community.
How about a team of scientists saying, "We have more than enough financial support." Nah, too far fetched. :wink:

anorlunda said:
How about a team of scientists saying, "We have more than enough financial support."
That's not science fiction. That's fantasy.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and berkeman

1. What is a photon and neutrino detector?

A photon and neutrino detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure the presence of photons and neutrinos, which are subatomic particles that make up light and have no charge, respectively. These detectors use various methods, such as scintillation, Cherenkov radiation, and ionization, to detect and measure these particles.

2. How does a photon and neutrino detector work?

Photon and neutrino detectors work by using specialized materials, such as scintillators or photomultiplier tubes, to detect and measure the energy and direction of photons and neutrinos. When these particles interact with the detector material, they produce small flashes of light or electrical signals, which can then be measured and analyzed.

3. What is a photon trawl device?

A photon trawl device is a specialized instrument used to collect and concentrate photons from a specific area or direction. It typically consists of a large, reflective surface, such as a mirror or lens, that is used to gather and focus photons onto a smaller detector or sensor. This allows for more efficient detection and measurement of photons in a given area.

4. How is a photon trawl device different from a photon and neutrino detector?

A photon and neutrino detector is used to detect and measure individual particles, while a photon trawl device is used to collect and concentrate a larger number of photons in a specific area. Photon trawl devices are often used in conjunction with photon and neutrino detectors to increase the sensitivity and accuracy of measurements.

5. What are the applications of photon and neutrino detectors and photon trawl devices?

Photon and neutrino detectors and photon trawl devices have a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including astrophysics, particle physics, and medical imaging. They are used to study the properties and behavior of photons and neutrinos, as well as to detect and measure radiation in various environments, such as in space or in the human body.