Photon BEC: Hypothetical Universe End-State

• I
  • Thread starter Cory Buott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bec Photon
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of a "heat death" of the universe and the potential for low energy photons to undergo a phase transition into a Bose-Einstein condensate. The question is raised about whether these photons would gain invariant mass in this scenario and if it is possible to show why this would or would not happen. The idea of reaching the Planck Length is also touched upon, with the understanding that information would be lost at this point. The possibility of an everlasting cycle in the universe is also considered, with the exclusion of Hawking Radiation for the time being. The conversation ends with the intention to explore the concept of a condensate as a pre-universe state.
Cory Buott
If we pose a hypothetical universe end-state very cold, where only very low energy photons are left. Could these photons undergo a phase transition into something like a BEC?

Would they gain invariant mass if they did (become a condensate) Could someone show why this would/would not happen?

I won't ask what happens if/when we reach Planck Length, I expect this is touchy, so we will simply say information is lost here. I only want to explore what happens just above this. All input appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
May I "answer" your question by rejecting the hypothesis?

I don’t think that this ‘Heat death of the universe’ hypothesis is the correct theory in the first place. Black holes can’t just disappear (black holes can only decrease in size/mass when Hawking radiation occurs, which of course brings us back to the creation photons again). Photons are attracted by black holes, even though they are massless, so at some point these far away low energy microwave photons could "feel" the attraction back towards the gravitational pull of these black holes, instead of expanding into infinity, or having to condensate as the only one remaining possibility. There's no evidence that suggests that the dynamics in the universe could not be an everlasting cycle.

Likes Cory Buott
Hawking Radiation is clever, but I want to pose a hypothetical scenario without. I knew this was the fist thing that would haunt, it is the thorn in the side -a universe eventually dominated by Hawking's clever notion. For now, let's leave this out and assess. I know this will lead to me being a hypocrite, but we will ignore this due to lack empirical observation, at least for now. We can explore Hawking Radiation later... You are probably correct in stating that there is no reason it can't be an everlasting cycle, but I want to explore this here first, then later explore a condensate as a pre-universe state also.

Likes mark!

1. What is a Photon BEC?

A Photon BEC (Bose-Einstein Condensate) is a hypothetical state of matter in which a large number of photons, or particles of light, are cooled down and begin to behave as a single quantum object.

2. How is a Photon BEC different from a regular laser?

While both a Photon BEC and a laser use photons, they operate in different ways. In a laser, photons are stimulated to emit more photons, resulting in a coherent beam of light. In a Photon BEC, the photons are cooled and become entangled, behaving as a single entity rather than individual particles.

3. What is the significance of a Photon BEC in the study of the universe?

A Photon BEC has the potential to provide insight into the fundamental workings of the universe, as it represents a unique state of matter with properties that are not fully understood. It may also have implications for quantum computing and communication.

4. Can a Photon BEC occur naturally in the universe?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that a Photon BEC exists naturally in the universe. However, scientists are working on ways to create one in controlled laboratory settings.

5. How does a Photon BEC relate to the end-state of the universe?

Some theories propose that a Photon BEC could be the end-state of the universe, as all matter and energy would eventually dissipate and become entangled photons. However, this is still a highly debated topic and further research is needed to fully understand the role of a Photon BEC in the end-state of the universe.