Photon detector on a dual slit experiment

In summary: The result cannot be erased, the photon is absorbed.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a detector in the dual slit experiment and whether or not it would destroy the interference pattern. The conclusion is that while the detector may not erase the result, it would still absorb the photon and therefore the interference pattern would still be present.
rasp
My experiment is to place a detector on one of the slits in the dual slit experiment so That it would record or not the passage of the photon, and then reset the detector to its base state, Erasing the result. In such a case, would the interference pattern be destroyed simply because the detector recorded. I’m guessing it would not, because even though information was temporarily recorded, that information did not pass out of the system. Is my postulate correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
rasp said:
My experiment is to place a detector on one of the slits in the dual slit experiment so That it would record or not the passage of the photon, and then reset the detector to its base state, Erasing the result. In such a case, would the interference pattern be destroyed simply because the detector recorded. I’m guessing it would not, because even though information was temporarily recorded, that information did not pass out of the system. Is my postulate correct?
Maybe not quite in the way you propose but yes. Have a look at this for a start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_eraser_experiment

rasp said:
My experiment is to place a detector on one of the slits in the dual slit experiment so That it would record or not the passage of the photon, and then reset the detector to its base state, Erasing the result.

It wouldn't erase the result, for one thing. Quantum erasure requires that nothing be left behind that in any way would indicate what occurred. Pressing a reset button doesn't qualify.

And the photon would be gone, absorbed by the detector anyway.

rasp said:
and then reset the detector to its base state,
If you can do that, then there will be an interference pattern. However there aren't many detectors that can do that - a macroscopic device at the slit that detects by interacting with the photon definitely will not work.

1. What is a photon detector on a dual slit experiment?

A photon detector on a dual slit experiment is a device used to detect and measure the presence and properties of photons, which are particles of light. In a dual slit experiment, it is used to detect the pattern of interference created when photons pass through two parallel slits.

2. How does a photon detector work?

A photon detector works by using a sensor, such as a photodiode or a camera, to detect and record the presence of photons. When a photon hits the sensor, it creates an electrical signal that can be measured and analyzed to determine the properties of the photon, such as its energy or position.

3. Why is a photon detector important in a dual slit experiment?

A photon detector is important in a dual slit experiment because it allows scientists to observe the wave-like behavior of light. By detecting and measuring the interference pattern created by photons passing through two slits, scientists can better understand the nature of light and its behavior.

4. Are there different types of photon detectors?

Yes, there are different types of photon detectors, each with its own advantages and limitations. Some common types include photodiodes, photomultipliers, and cameras. Different types of detectors may be used depending on the specific goals and requirements of the experiment.

5. Can a photon detector be used to detect other types of particles?

Yes, a photon detector can be used to detect other types of particles, such as electrons. However, the detector may need to be modified or specialized for detecting different types of particles, as they may have different properties and behaviors compared to photons.