Photon fluence and energy fluence question, all work shown

In summary, the x-ray field at point P contains 7.5 x 10^8 photons/m^2-sec-keV uniformly distributed from 10 to 100 keV. The photon flux density at P is 8.3 x 10^6 photons/(m^2-sec), and the photon fluence in one hour is 3.0 x 10^10 photons/m^2. The corresponding energy fluence in SI units is 1.7 x 10^28 J/m^2.
johnq2k7
An x-ray field at a point P contains 7.5 x 10^8 photons /m^2-sec-keV uniformly distributed from 10 to 100 keV.

a.) What is the photon flux density at P?
b.) What would the photon fluence in one hour?
c.) What is the corresponding energy fluence in SI units?

my work:

a.) 7.5 x 10^8 photons/ (m^2-sec-keV) * (100- 10 keV) = 8.3 x 10^6 photons/(m^2-sec)

b.) 8.3 x 10^6 photons/(m^2-sec) * (3600 sec/hr)= 3.0 x 10^10 photons/m^2

c.) 7.5 x 10^8 photons/ (m^2-sec-keV) * (1 keV/1.602 x 10^-16 J)
= 1.7 x 10^28 photons/(m^2-J)

I have shown my work, but I'm confident with my answers please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your answers for parts a and b are correct. For part c, you have correctly converted from keV to Joules, but the units for energy fluence should be J/m^2, not photons/m^2. So the correct answer for part c would be 1.7 x 10^28 J/m^2.

1. What is photon fluence and energy fluence?

Photon fluence and energy fluence are two measures used to describe the amount of energy contained in a beam of photons. Photon fluence is the number of photons per unit area, and energy fluence is the amount of energy per unit area.

2. How are photon fluence and energy fluence related?

Photon fluence and energy fluence are related by the energy of each photon. As the energy of photons increases, the energy fluence also increases, while the photon fluence remains the same.

3. What is the unit of measurement for photon fluence and energy fluence?

The unit of measurement for photon fluence is photons per square meter (photons/m^2), while the unit for energy fluence is joules per square meter (J/m^2).

4. How are photon fluence and energy fluence calculated?

Photon fluence can be calculated by dividing the total number of photons in a beam by the area of the beam. Energy fluence can be calculated by multiplying the photon fluence by the energy of each photon.

5. How are photon fluence and energy fluence used in scientific research?

Photon fluence and energy fluence are important measures in studying the effects of radiation on materials and living organisms. They are used to calculate radiation doses and determine the potential risks of exposure to various types of radiation.