Photon Polarization: What are indices i and j?

In summary, the completeness relation for photon polarization states that the sum of the products of the polarization vectors for all possible states is equal to the identity matrix minus the outer product of the unit vectors. The indices i and j represent the components of the vector, but the right-hand side would not always be zero. This is because the unit vectors are fixed and not equal to 0, resulting in a non-zero difference.
Silviu
Hello! I am a bit confused about the completeness relation for photon polarization. So it says ## \sum_{s=1,2}\epsilon_i^s\epsilon_j^{s*}=\delta_{ij}-p_ip_j##, with ##p_i, p_j## - unit vectors. So I am not sure what are the indices i and j. I though that they represent the component of the vector, but in that case the RHS would be always 0. So what are i and j? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the RHS would be zero?

Orodruin said:
Why do you think the RHS would be zero?
if i=j, ##\delta_{ij}=0## and ##p_ip_j=0## as ##p_i=(1,0,0)## and ##p_j=(0,1,0)##, for example. If i=j, ##\delta_{ii}=1## and ##p_ip_i=1## so in both cases the difference is 0, right?

Not right. ##p## is a fixed vector, ##p_i## is its ith component.

Related to Photon Polarization: What are indices i and j?

1. What do indices i and j represent in photon polarization?

Indices i and j represent the orthogonal directions of the electric field vector in the x-y plane. They are used to describe the polarization state of a photon.

2. How are indices i and j related to the polarization angle of a photon?

The polarization angle of a photon is determined by the ratio of the two indices i and j, which represent the amplitudes of the electric field in the x and y directions, respectively.

3. What is the significance of indices i and j in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, indices i and j are used to describe the spin states of a photon. The two states, represented by i and j, are known as the right-handed and left-handed circular polarization states.

4. Can indices i and j have values other than 0 or 1?

Yes, indices i and j can have values other than 0 or 1, depending on the polarization state of the photon. For example, for linearly polarized light, i and j can have any real value between 0 and 1.

5. How do indices i and j relate to the concept of photon spin?

Indices i and j are used to describe the spin states of a photon, which is an intrinsic property of the particle. The values of i and j determine the direction of the photon's spin, which can be either right-handed or left-handed.