Photon Speed Addition: Can it Be FTL?

In summary, the relativistic addition of velocities is a non-commutative group operation. This means that the speed of a photon cannot exceed the speed of light in a particular reference frame. However, if the photon has components of its speed that are orthogonal to its motion, then it can move at greater than the speed of light in that reference frame.
jk22
It is well known that relativistic speed addition is a non-commutative group (gyrogroup).

The addition of two orthogonal speeds is given by :

##\vec{u}\oplus_\perp\vec{v}=\vec{u}+\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}\vec{v}##

Hence if ##u## is describing a photon with speed c then we can add whatever ##v## it always gives ##\vec{u}##.

Does this mean in particular that a photon could have ftl components of its speed that are orthogonal to it's motion ?

Physics news on Phys.org
jk22 said:
Does this mean in particular that a photon could have ftl components of its speed that are orthogonal to it's motion ?

No.

It's not clear why you would even think that. Consider ##v + u## instead.

jk22 said:

What does it even mean to have components of velocity (I know you said speed, but speed is a scalar and has no components) orthogonal to the direction of motion?

Yes velocity I meant. Due to the fact that in relativity speed cannot go beyond c, so the velocity could have kind of hidden components ? Like ##\vec{c}=u\vec{e}_1+v\vec{e}_2## but the vector addition is replaced by relativistic addition of velocities.

If the photon is moving in a certain direction, why would there even be an orthogonal component of the velocity?

jk22 said:
Like ##\vec{c}=u\vec{e}_1+v\vec{e}_2## but the vector addition is replaced by relativistic addition of velocities.

No it isn't. The relativistic "addition" of the velocities v and u actually is a transformation of the velocity v into a frame of reference moving with the velocity -u. It has nothing to do with the addition of vector components.

Likes weirdoguy
Mark44 said:
If the photon is moving in a certain direction, why would there even be an orthogonal component of the velocity?

The idea is as follows. If a particle is moving at speed ##u## in some reference frame, and a second reference frame is moving at speed ##v## in an orthogonal direction wrt the first, then the speed of the particle in the second reference frame is given by the formula in the OP.

Of course, if ##u = c##, then ##u' = c## independent of ##v##, as is clear from the formula, as the gamma-like term is ##0##.

Hence, even if you set ##v > c##, you still get ##u' = c##.

The question, therefore, is whether this allows the second reference frame to move at greater than ##c## with respect to the first. This, of course, is ruled out more fundamentally.

I think when you make an assumption,you should always consider that whether you break the more basic rule.

Concerning the kinematics a photon is characterized by its four-momentum, which is light-like, i.e.,
$$p^{\mu}=\begin{pmatrix} |\vec{p}| \\ \vec{p} \end{pmatrix}.$$
Since a photon is a single-frequency mode of the em. field the classical pendant is the wave vector of a plane em. wave,
$$k^{\mu}=\begin{pmatrix} |\vec{k}| \\ \vec{k} \end{pmatrix}.$$
The relation is the Einstein-de Broglie relation ##p^{\mu}=\hbar k^{\mu}##.

The dispersion relation of em. waves dictates this, and it's a Lorentz-invariant property,
$$p_{\mu} p^{\mu}=0,$$
i.e., it holds in any inertial frame.

The question is more mathematically posed :

It seemed to me that usual vector addition of velocities should be replaced by relativistic addition formula given above. But then, I lack of mathematical knowledge to understand for example what replaces a basis, since for example the decomposition in a basis ##e_x,e_y,e_z## would be : ##\vec{v}=(v_x e_x\oplus_\perp v_y e_y)\oplus_\perp v_z e_z\neq v_x e_x\oplus_\perp (v_y e_y \oplus_\perp v_z e_z)##.

So that the decomposition where not unique, and a star shape or wreath should appear, for example 12 arms if we consider the velocities are in 3 dimensions ??

Since relativistic Velocity addition is not a group operation, all the notions of vector space are to be modified ?

jk22 said:
Since relativistic Velocity addition is not a group operation, all the notions of vector space are to be modified ?
It's not that the notions of vector space need to be modified, it's that the velocity three-vectors don't form a vector space so you can't use these notions at all.

Easier, much easier, to work with four-vectors. You can always recover the velocity three-vector when you're done by projecting the the four-vector onto the three dimensional space you're interested in.

Likes weirdoguy and vanhees71
For example if I have 2 4-vectors ##p_i^\mu=(E_i/c,\vec{p}_i)## how do I add them ?
Ah I got it we just write ##\vec{v}\gamma_v=\vec{v}_1\gamma_{v_1}+\vec{v}_2\gamma_{v_2}## if we consider the same particle having those components by ##\vec{p}=\vec{p_1}+\vec{p_2}## with ##\vec{p_i}=m\vec{v}_i\gamma_{v_i}## ?

Last edited:
The four-vectors are, as their name says, vectors. Their components follow the usual rules for vector addition, multiplication with scalars etc. They transform under Lorentz transformations as
$$p^{\prime \mu}={L^{\mu}}_{\nu} p^{\nu}.$$
Take a boost in ##x## direction with velocity ##v=\beta c##. Then you have
$$(L^{\mu \nu})=\begin{pmatrix} \gamma & -\gamma \beta & 0 & 0 \\ -\gamma \beta & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0& 0 & 0 &1 \end{pmatrix}.$$
Thus you have
$$\begin{pmatrix} E'/c \\ p^{\prime 1}\\ p^{\prime 2}\\ p^{\prime 3} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\gamma(E/c-\beta p^1) \\ \gamma(p^1-\beta E/c) \\ p^2 \\ p^3 \end{pmatrix}.$$
The inverse transformation is simply given by setting ##\beta## to ##-\beta## in the transformation matrix, i.e.,
$$\begin{pmatrix} E/c \\ p^{1}\\ p^{2}\\ p^{3} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\gamma(E'/c+\beta p^{\prime 1}) \\ \gamma(p^{\prime 1}+\beta E'/c) \\ p^{\prime 2} \\ p^{\prime 3 }\end{pmatrix}.$$
From this you get the velocity-addition law by comparing the three-velocities (which are NOT the spatial components of a four-vector) in the original to that in the primed reference frame:
$$u^1=\frac{c}{p^0} p^1=\frac{c}{\gamma(E'/c+\beta p^{\prime 1})}(\gamma p^{\prime 1}+\beta E'/c)=\frac{c(p^{\prime 1}+\beta E'/c)}{E'/c+\beta p^{\prime 1}}=\frac{u^{\prime 1}+v}{1+\beta u^{\prime 1}/c}.$$
In the last step I've devided both the numerator and denominator by ##E'/c##.

For the other two components you get
$$u^2=\frac{c p^2}{p^0}=\frac{c p^{\prime 2}}{\gamma (E'/c+\beta p^{\prime 1})}=\frac{u^{\prime 2}}{\gamma (1+\beta u^{\prime 1}/c)}$$
and analgously for ##u^3##.

As you see, the addition theorem for the ##\vec{u}##'s is very complicated (note that it's not even commutative!), while the four-vector transformations are quite simply given by the linear Lorentz transformation law with the corresponding matrix.

Likes jk22

1. What is photon speed addition?

Photon speed addition is a concept in physics that explores the possibility of adding the speed of two photons together to achieve faster-than-light (FTL) speeds.

2. Is it possible for photons to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Therefore, it is not possible for photons or any other object to travel faster than the speed of light.

3. Why is it important to study photon speed addition?

Studying photon speed addition can help us better understand the fundamental principles of physics and the limitations of the universe. It also has implications for fields such as space travel and communication.

4. Have any experiments been conducted to test photon speed addition?

There have been several experiments conducted to test the possibility of photon speed addition. However, all of these experiments have shown that photons cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

5. What are the potential consequences if photon speed addition were possible?

If photon speed addition were possible, it would violate the principles of relativity and completely change our understanding of the universe. It could also lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies in the laws of physics.