Photonic Crystal Fibres and COMSOL

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of COMSOL 3.5 for creating photonic crystal fibres and tapered optical fibres. The person was looking for instructions on how to create a PCF structure in COMSOL and asked for recommendations on notes/books for photonic applications. The conversation also mentioned a paper on Confinement Loss Computations in Photonic Crystal Fibres using a Novel Perfectly Matched Layer Design, and suggested asking for help in the Comsol Community.
Darksight
Hello everyone, I am trying to understand COMSOL 3.5 and I am interested in Photonic crystal fibres and tapered optical fibres. First of all, could you please tell me what is the background of the layout? When you create a design/object, the rest area is air or I need to define another object as the environment?
Now, could you please tell me where I can find instructions of how creating a PCF structure in COMSOL? Furthermore, do you know any good notes/books for COMSOL for photonic applications??
Thank you in advance

Chris

Science news on Phys.org
Have you seen this paper yet on Confinement Loss Computations in Photonic Crystal Fibres using a Novel Perfectly Matched Layer Design? http://www.comsol.com/papers/1083/
It may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
multiphysics said:
Have you seen this paper yet on Confinement Loss Computations in Photonic Crystal Fibres using a Novel Perfectly Matched Layer Design? http://www.comsol.com/papers/1083/
It may help.

Yes my friend, I have already found this paper but its not really helpful because its more theoretical analysis. I need the COMSOL file, in order to start working in that. Do you have any other ideas?

Best Regards,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a photonic crystal fibre (PCF)?

A photonic crystal fibre is a type of optical fibre that uses a periodic structure of air holes running along its length to confine and guide light. These fibres have unique properties, such as high light confinement and low loss, making them useful for various applications in optics and photonics.

2. How does COMSOL help in the design and analysis of PCFs?

COMSOL is a powerful multiphysics simulation software that allows for the accurate modeling and analysis of PCFs. It has a specialized module for wave optics that can handle the complex structures and materials used in PCFs. This allows researchers to simulate and optimize the performance of PCFs for specific applications.

3. What are some common applications of PCFs?

PCFs have a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, sensing and measurement, laser technology, and biomedicine. They are also used in research for studying nonlinear and quantum optics, as well as for developing new photonic devices.

4. How is the design of PCFs different from traditional optical fibres?

The design process for PCFs is more complex than for traditional optical fibres. PCFs require precise control of the air hole structure, diameter, and spacing to achieve desired properties. Additionally, the materials used in PCFs, such as photonic bandgap materials, can significantly affect the performance and require careful consideration in the design process.

5. What are some advantages of using PCFs over traditional optical fibres?

PCFs offer several advantages over traditional optical fibres, including higher bandwidth, lower loss, and increased flexibility in design. They also have unique properties, such as the ability to control light confinement and dispersion, making them suitable for a wider range of applications. Additionally, PCFs can be fabricated using a variety of materials, including silica, polymers, and crystals, providing more options for specific applications.