Photons Travelling at Less than c in "free space"

In summary: I think this is what you're asking. They are manipulating the "shape" of the photon by using a spatial light modulator.
nitsuj
BBC has a small article on how Prof Daniele Faccio of Heriot-Watt University and Prof Miles Padgett of Glasgow slowed a photon to less than c in "free space", which I pressume to mean a vacuum.

Done by "changing the photon's shape" via some medium. When the photon returned to "free space" it continued it's retarded velocity.

Is this pucky? Or is there some known reason that a photons "shape" can effect what it's maximum velocity is? I pressume that the retarded velocity is still the maximum for the particular photon since they're massless.

article

Edit: reading about light through mediums maybe this means the photon maintains it's slowed group velocity after leaving the medium.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure we had a recent thread on this but I can't find it right now. IIRC, the key point is that yes, the "shape" of a photon can affect its velocity. Strictly speaking, photons only travel at ##c## if they are plane waves in free space. The photons coming out of the medium in this experiment, even though they emerge into free space, are not plane waves.

I think this is the paper the BBC article was referencing: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1411/1411.3987.pdf

I think this phenomenon is not so much different from a wave-guide, except they've found a (quite intricate) way to keep the "shape" of the wave-packet in the absence of a waveguide. But I've only made a cursory glance at the paper, so probably an optics guy can answer any questions better. Peter's statement that "photon's only travel at c in plane waves in free space" actually appears to be the main point of this paper. The relation ##v_p v_g = c^2## (where ##v_p## is the phase velocity and ##v_g## is the group velocity of a wave packet) is a quite general dispersion relation for light though, as far as I know. So if you can make a wave packet where ##v_p \neq v_g## then you necessarily create a situation where ##v_g<c## and ##v_p >c##.

Thanks for the replies guys!

And thanks for the link to the paper!

waves are pretty interesting :)

Matterwave said:
I think this phenomenon is not so much different from a wave-guide, except they've found a (quite intricate) way to keep the "shape" of the wave-packet in the absence of a waveguide.

This is my understanding as well, and IIRC was also the understanding of others in the previous thread I mentioned.

I used to be an optics guy, although I'm a bit rusty these days. I've only read the article Matterwave linked, and don't know any deep background.

They're using Spatial Light Modulators (SLM - programmable diffraction gratings, basically) to manipulate a single photon wave into a form that spreads out, rather than remaining collimated. They chose Gaussian and Bessel function beam profiles because they are easy to produce and the maths to describe beam width as a function of distance is relatively straightforward in those cases. They used parametric down-conversion to produce two in-phase photons, fed one through their apparatus and one past it, then used a form of interferometry I'm not familiar with to measure the delay introduced by the structuring. Using SLMs to introduce the structuring is kind of neat because the optical path length isn't changed by turning them on, so the interferometer stays calibrated when the structuring element is introduced, which it would not do if they used the equivalent "real" optical elements.

What's also kind of neat is that they can use a "simple ray geometric model" to estimate the slow-down in the cases they used. In other words, they calculate the radius, r, of the photon at a distance, D, then calculate the delay by arguing that the photon has "actually" traveled ##\sqrt{r^2+D^2}##, instead of just D that a plane-wave photon would have done.

At least, that's my reading.

Ibix said:
They're using Spatial Light Modulators (SLM - programmable diffraction gratings, basically) to manipulate a single photon wave into a form that spreads out, rather than remaining collimated.

As a layman, what I'm trying to wrap my head around is how exactly you can collimate a single photon, or what exactly they've "spread out". Are we talking about the wave function here or? Would it affect what you see if you put a spatial detector (camera) at the half-way mirror in figure 2C in their preprint? After adjusting the coincidence counting of course.

Lord Crc said:
Are we talking about the wave function here

Yes.

Lord Crc said:
Would it affect what you see if you put a spatial detector (camera) at the half-way mirror in figure 2C in their preprint?

I believe so, yes.

Likes Lord Crc
Lord Crc said:
As a layman, what I'm trying to wrap my head around is how exactly you can collimate a single photon, or what exactly they've "spread out". Are we talking about the wave function here or? Would it affect what you see if you put a spatial detector (camera) at the half-way mirror in figure 2C in their preprint? After adjusting the coincidence counting of course.
You may have read about the single-photon double-slit experiment, where you can repeatedly send single photons through two slits and build up a pattern showing that each photon interferes with its own wave-function. In some senses, this experiment is a variation on that. It's just that they are using a diffraction grating that is a bit more complex than the double slit, and the diffracted wave turns out to have some interesting properties.

In terms of what you'd see if you stuck a camera in the middle of 2C, they seem to be pushing a single photon through each arm of the interferometer. That means that your camera would see what any camera sees when it receives a single photon: a dot somewhere in the field. However, if you left the shutter open and repeated the experiment, there would be a pattern to the way the dots build up. There's a sequence of images showing this kind of pattern build-up at Wikipedia (although this particular example is electrons through a double slit). In this experiment you would get the same effect, except that the pattern that built up would be uniform (with the SLMs off), a Gaussian dot (with the Gaussian beam) or an Airy disc (with the Bessel beam). Or possibly the Fourier transforms thereof (I'm not sure without thinking a lot harder about this) - there would be structure anyway.

I'll repeat my health warning from earlier - I am qualified to talk about optics, but it's been a few years and I haven't read any more about this than the BBC article and the paper Matterwave linked.

Last edited:
Ibix said:
In this experiment you would get the same effect, except that the pattern that built up would be uniform (with the SLMs off), a Gaussian dot (with the Gaussian beam) or an Airy disc (with the Bessel beam).

Ok yes I was thinking of the build-up ala the single photon double slit experiment, so that's what I expected if they modified the shape of the wavefunction.

Now to wrap my head around this altered wavefunction somehow travels slower. I'll read the preprint again tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies to the both of you.

More or less. In a plane wave, all points on the surface of a wavefront are moving in the same direction at speed c. In an expanding wave, not all parts of the beam are pointing in the same direction. The part of the wave front that is pointing an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] off axis has a forward velocity of [itex]c\cos\theta[/itex]. Averaged over the wavefront, then, the forward velocity is less than c. The lateral velocities average out - for every point at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex], there's a point at [itex]-\theta[/itex].

That's a very simple-minded analysis that really only works for certain beam profiles like the Gaussian and Bessel beams. For other structures you actually need to look at the field equations. You'll have to look for someone else to get an explanation at that level. :D

Likes nitsuj and joeyshmowe
I, for one, am confused. How is that not in contradiction with say, Born & Wolf page 15 where they simply solved the wave equation and sought spherical waves solutions and found out that the speed of propagation is what would be "c" for light?
By that I mean the claim of the paper
even in free space, the invariance of the speed of light only applies to plane waves.

Ibix said:
In a plane wave, all points on the surface of a wavefront are moving in the same direction at speed c. In an expanding wave, not all parts of the beam are pointing in the same direction. The part of the wave front that is pointing an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] off axis has a forward velocity of [itex]c\cos\theta[/itex]. Averaged over the wavefront, then, the forward velocity is less than c.

Right, I mostly had managed to confuse myself because based on the video I thought the slow speed continued after they "undid" the spatial modification, but from what I can gather from the paper that's not their claim.

So my mental model of their work is that if one imagines a slinky stretched along the x-axis on a table, with both ends fixed but with one end moving in the x direction in a cyclic manner, then each compression wave is kinda like a regular phonton flying along, and what they've done is manipulate the slinky so that the each compression wave also moves in the y-plane. Then the path length has changed and of course it takes the wave longer to reach the other end, assuming it moves with a fixed speed.

Is this roughly it, or is it way off in the fields?

Lord Crc said:
Then the path length has changed and of course it takes the wave longer to reach the other end, assuming it moves with a fixed speed.

That's how I'm understanding this from reading about waves in this thread and on wiki; my intuition was what is being measured? I don't understand how a photon relates to a wave and from a wave to group & phase velocities.

This wiki page has a great visual. So with this experiment, is it the group velocity is slowed to less than c, but the phase velocity is c?

In which case, what is the theoretical minimum vacuum group velocity of light?
Can we just slow it down arbitrarily?

nitsuj said:
is it the group velocity is slowed to less than c, but the phase velocity is c?

I believe the phase velocity is faster than c. The product of group velocity and phase velocity is c, so if group velocity is slower, phase velocity is faster.

In an anomalously dispersive material, we can have ##v_g > c##.

We can even set up a situation where ##v_g < 0##

Of course we can slow light down in a medium, but it is intriguing that it can be done in a vacuum.
If the light is NOT in a medium, just how much can we slow it down?

I suspect it is a very similar principle, i.e., combining wavelengths and phases to get the desired result. It is interesting that this done at the photon level, but I don`t find it to be very surprising theoretically (experimentally is a different story). Maybe I haven't looked at it deeply enough, though

George Jones said:
In an anomalously dispersive material, we can have ##v_g > c##.

Are you sure about this statement? It is my understanding that the group velocity being greater than c would mean one can deliver energy faster than c in violation of SR.

Matterwave said:
Are you sure about this statement? It is my understanding that the group velocity being greater than c would mean one can deliver energy faster than c in violation of SR.

SR is not violated; take a look at this cool animation by Greg Egan,

http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/20/20.html

fluidistic said:
I, for one, am confused. How is that not in contradiction with say, Born & Wolf page 15 where they simply solved the wave equation and sought spherical waves solutions and found out that the speed of propagation is what would be "c" for light?
By that I mean the claim of the paper
even in free space, the invariance of the speed of light only applies to plane waves.
Interesting point. It might be that they are talking about beams only - if you enclose a spherical wave source in a box with a small hole to make a beam, you'll get diffraction effects that I guess (haven't done any maths to prove it) will introduce dispersion. It might also be that this is a pre-print, and some reviewer will pick up on that. :) I'm really not sure.

As a side note, I can't find my copy of Born and Wolf. How do I lose a book that size...?

1. What is the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, denoted by the symbol c. This is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

2. Can photons travel at less than c in free space?

No, photons are particles of light and are always observed to travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. It is a fundamental law of physics that nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light or faster.

3. What is meant by "free space" in this context?

In physics, "free space" refers to a region of space that contains no matter or fields. It is an idealized concept used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of particles and waves.

4. What would happen if a photon were to travel at less than c in free space?

Since photons are always observed to travel at c in a vacuum, it is impossible for them to travel at a slower speed. If a photon were to somehow slow down, it would lose its energy and cease to exist as a photon.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

Currently, there are no known exceptions to this rule. While there have been some experiments that have claimed to observe particles traveling faster than c, these results have not been replicated and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.