Photosynthesis and quantum randomness

In summary, some studies suggest that during photosynthesis, electrons travel all possible paths simultaneously and then always collapse at the reaction center. However, this seems to contradict quantum randomness and raises the question of whether there is a mechanism involved that can control the energy transport. More research is needed in this area.
Atla2017
Some studies suggest that during photosynthesis, electrons travel all possible paths simultaneously, and then always collapse at the reaction center.

My question is, doesn't that contradict quantum randomness? Shouldn't the location of the electron after the collapse be predictably random?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atla2017 said:
Some studies suggest that during photosynthesis, electrons travel all possible paths simultaneously, and then always collapse at the reaction center.

My question is, doesn't that contradict quantum randomness? Shouldn't the location of the electron after the collapse be predictably random?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post links to the studies you are referring to? That would probably help to get you better answers to your question. Thanks! :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post links to the studies you are referring to? That would probably help to get you better answers to your question. Thanks! :smile:
Thanks! Here are two (as far as I know this topic is now heavily researched):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876619611000684
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270879144_Quantum_Coherence_in_Photosynthesis_for_Efficient_Solar_Energy_Conversion

I'm a layman, I guess I can't tell whether or not there's a mechanism involved here that can nearly perfectly "steer" the energy transport. Without such a mechanism it would seem to me to contradict quantum randomness.

1. What is photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is the process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria convert light energy from the sun into chemical energy in the form of glucose. This process is essential for the survival of most living organisms on Earth.

2. How does photosynthesis work?

Photosynthesis involves a series of complex biochemical reactions that take place in the chloroplasts of plant cells. The process can be divided into two stages: the light-dependent reactions and the light-independent reactions. In the light-dependent reactions, light energy is converted into chemical energy in the form of ATP and NADPH. In the light-independent reactions, these energy molecules are used to produce glucose from carbon dioxide.

3. What is quantum randomness?

Quantum randomness refers to the unpredictable nature of quantum phenomena at the subatomic level. In quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles such as photons and electrons cannot be precisely predicted, but only described by probabilities. This randomness is an inherent part of the quantum world and has been observed in various experiments.

4. How is quantum randomness related to photosynthesis?

Recent research has shown that quantum randomness plays a crucial role in the efficiency of photosynthesis. The process of energy transfer from light-harvesting pigments to the reaction center in plants involves quantum coherence, where photons are able to take multiple pathways simultaneously. This allows for more efficient energy transfer, making photosynthesis more efficient overall.

5. Can we use quantum randomness to improve photosynthesis?

While there is still much research to be done, scientists are exploring the potential of using quantum randomness to improve the efficiency of photosynthesis. By understanding and replicating the quantum processes involved, we may be able to create artificial photosynthetic systems that are more efficient than natural ones.