Photosynthesis converts CO2 into sugars, can we industrialize this process?

In summary, CO2 appears to create global warming, but there is a way to get rid of the CO2. If we could industrialize the photosynthesis process to get rid of large amounts of CO2, then the O2 would go into the atmosphere, but where you put all the "waste" carbon, and what would you do with it (burning it would just get you back to where you started).
JDoolin
Gold Member
CO2 appears to create global warming, but is there a way to get rid of the CO2? Could we somehow industrialize the photosynthesis process to get rid of large amounts of CO2?

What sorts of issues prevent this solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't necessarily know every step of photosynthesis?

Assuming this was possible, the O2 would go into the atmosphere, but where you put all the "waste" carbon, and what would you do with it (burning it would just get you back to where you started).

JDoolin said:
CO2 appears to create global warming, but is there a way to get rid of the CO2? Could we somehow industrialize the photosynthesis process to get rid of large amounts of CO2?
Sure, all agriculture is industrialized photosynthesis. In order to fix the CO2, the only thing that you would have to do is to pull the biomass out of the environment. I recommend hardwood furniture and log homes for the purpose. The harder and denser the wood the better. It takes a lot of CO2 to make and, provided you don't burn it, it sequesters the carbon away from the environment for a very long time.

From a CO2 balance perspective cutting down a rainforest is actually not a bad thing. What is bad is burning the hardwood instead of using it and then not letting the forest re-grow.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly how well I can trust the numbers on the internet, but after a short search it sounds like burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces about 19.4 pounds of Carbon Dioxide, while burning 1 pound of wood produces about 1.5 pounds of carbon dioxide.

Does the latter statistic work in reverse; such that a growing tree will suck about 1.5 pounds of carbon-dioxide out of the air for each pound of hardwood it puts on?

I wonder how many acres of forests we would have to grow (and not burn) to balance the amount of carbon dioxide we produce.

A very rough calculation follows

Worldwide use of oil: 84 million barrels/year *42 gallons/barrel * 20 pounds of CO2 per gallon = 70 billion pounds of CO2

divide by 1.5, absorbed by growing 46 billion pounds of wood.

= 23 million tons of wood grown and not burned.

I'm not sure how that converts into cubic meters... One web-site estimated the worldwide harvest of wood to be around 3.5 billion cubic meters (3/4 of which is used for fuel.)

...or how it would convert into acres, or land-fills. I wonder if we could find use for 23 million tons of hardwood as furniture and houses per year, or if we would bury it. What happens if bugs get into it? Would they convert it right back into CO2?

I heard a report on NPR's Science Friday yesterday about an artificial leaf.

It appears there may be two different versions of it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110327191042.htm" describes a device that converts the fuel into Hydrogen for a fuel cell.

But diagrams http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/energyfutureslab/research/grandchallenges/artificialleaf" [/I] gas is exactly what we ought to be going for.

Attachments

• 69455699.jpg
    69455699.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does photosynthesis convert CO2 into sugars?

Photosynthesis is a process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria use the energy from sunlight to convert carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) into oxygen (O2) and carbohydrates, such as sugars and starches. This process takes place in the chloroplasts of plant cells, where the green pigment chlorophyll absorbs the energy from sunlight and uses it to fuel the conversion of CO2 into sugars.

2. Can we replicate photosynthesis on an industrial scale?

Scientists and researchers have been exploring ways to replicate photosynthesis on an industrial scale for decades. However, due to the complexity of the process and the need for specific conditions such as sunlight, water, and CO2, it has proved to be a challenging task. While there have been some advancements in this area, it is not yet possible to fully industrialize the process of photosynthesis.

3. What are the potential benefits of industrializing photosynthesis?

Industrializing photosynthesis could have numerous benefits, including reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, which is a major contributor to climate change. It could also provide a sustainable source of energy through the production of biofuels, and increase the production of food by improving crop yields.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to industrializing photosynthesis?

Some potential drawbacks of industrializing photosynthesis include the high cost of implementing such technology and the potential environmental impacts of large-scale cultivation of plants for this purpose. It is also important to consider the ethical implications of using genetically modified organisms in this process.

5. Is there any current research being done on industrializing photosynthesis?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this area. Some scientists are exploring ways to use artificial photosynthesis to convert CO2 into fuels and chemicals, while others are working on improving the efficiency of natural photosynthesis by genetically modifying plants. However, much more research and testing is needed before industrial-scale photosynthesis becomes a reality.