Photovoltaic Effect in CdS or CdSe

In summary, the conversation discusses the mysterious authors Audobert and Stora who are credited with discovering the photovoltaic effect in either CdS or CdSe in 1932, but no citation or first names are given. The literature references these authors in various studies, but their original paper or patent cannot be found. Some speculate that they may have been Scandinavian researchers working in Germany or France at the time. Further research is needed to determine the true identity of Audobert and Stora.
Vagn
I have a somewhat different question to the usual sort asked.

In the literature on photovoltaics numerous authors, both academic and popular refer to an Audobert and Stora who in 1932 observed the photovoltaic effect in either CdS or CdSe, depending on the author, however no citation is given. No first names or initials are ever given for the Audobert or Stora either to aid in identifying them.
Examples in the literature are section 2 here, under 1932 here and table 2 here. which all refer to CdS and Section 2 here which refers to CdSe.
The US DoE also features the claim in its 'history of solar' page here
In Shirland's 1966 review of CdS Solar Cells, he makes no reference to the pair, only noting Reynolds' work alongside that of Nadjakov et al. none of the co-authors of whom could be the enigmatic Audobert or Stora.

I've tried for some time to find the original reference of Audobert and Stora, however I've hand no luck in finding it and neither the library at my institute or google seems to have it either, or any record of Audobert or Stora.
As such I was wondering if anyone has come across either the original paper or patent, or has any idea who Audobert or Stora could be?

Their names sound like they are Scandinavian and could perhaps have been working in Germany in the 1930s, and judging by the time period in question I suspect that the original paper or patent may have been in German. There are a few French Audoberts also so it is possible they were in France at the time.

If anyone has come across this pair before, any information would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am interested by how many website say essentially that Audobert and Stora discovered the photoelectric effect in one or the other of those compounds in 1932 without citation.

I found two pdfs that credit the following for the information:
  • Cleveland CJ. Handbook of Energy. In: Handbook of Energy.Vol II. Elsevier; 2014:287-302. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-417013-1.00015-7.
  • U.S. Deparment of Energy EE and RE. The Histroy of Solar Technology. Pennyhill Press 2013:1- 12.
  • Vesselinka Petrova-Koch, Rudolf Hezel, Adolf Goetzberger, “High –Efficient Low- Cost Photovoltaics: recent Developments”, Springer series in optical sciences (2008)

This was found on page 2 of a Google search,: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=Audobert&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

It points to: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364032116000836
Which is behind a pay wall.

Notice that the reference below to Audobert and Stora has a reference or footnote.Technological development trends in Solar‐powered Aircraft Systems
G Abbe, H Smith - Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2016 - Elsevier
… This was followed by advancements in material compositions to improve the photoelectric effect
such as cadmium sulphide by Audobert and Stora in 1932 [5]. A major step in solar technology
was the development of Photovoltaic (PV) technology in the United States in 1954 …
Cited by 22 Related articles All 5 versions

------------------------
On pg 3, this:
https://uknowledge.uky.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1087&context=ece_etds
references:
Vesselinka Petrova-Koch, Rudolf Hezel, Adolf Goetzberger, “High –Efficient Low-Cost Photovoltaics: recent Developments”, Springer series in optical sciences (2008)

------------------------
Generally, findings report either no references or report WikiPedia, not really a primary source. A confounding factor is that 'Audobert' is a region in France which has an Archaeologically important cave.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please let us know if you find anything, you've got me curious now.

Vagn said:
Examples in the literature are section 2 here, under 1932 here and table 2 here. which all refer to CdS and Section 2 here which refers to CdSe.

I can only say that the first report on the photovoltaic effect in Cadmium Sulfide seems to be the work by Reynolds in 1954 ("Photovoltaic Effect in Cadmium Sulfide", D.C. Reynolds et al., Phys. Rev. 96, 533 (1954)), so it seems likely that the investigations in 1932 have focused on Cadmium Selenide.
Tom.G said:
This was found on page 2 of a Google search,: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=Audobert&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

It points to: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364032116000836
Which is behind a pay wall.

Notice that the reference below to Audobert and Stora has a reference or footnote.

This one points to Cleveland et al. entry in the Handbook of Energy mentioned in the post above yours. Unfortunately, this entry only contains a timeline without further references.

1. What is the photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe?

The photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe is a phenomenon where light energy is converted into electrical energy. This occurs in materials such as cadmium sulfide (CdS) and cadmium selenide (CdSe) due to their unique properties, which allow them to absorb and convert light into electricity.

2. How does the photovoltaic effect work in CdS or CdSe?

The photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe works by utilizing the properties of these materials to create an electric field when exposed to light. This electric field then separates the positive and negative charges created by the absorption of light, generating an electric current.

3. What are the applications of the photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe?

The photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe has several applications, including solar cells, photodetectors, and photovoltaic devices. These materials are commonly used in the production of solar panels and other renewable energy technologies.

4. How efficient is the photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe?

The efficiency of the photovoltaic effect in CdS or CdSe depends on several factors, including the material's purity, thickness, and the light intensity and wavelength. The efficiency can range from 5% to 15%, with ongoing research and development efforts to improve it further.

5. What are the advantages of using CdS or CdSe in photovoltaic applications?

One of the main advantages of using CdS or CdSe in photovoltaic applications is their low cost and abundance, making them a more affordable option for renewable energy technologies. They also have a high absorption coefficient, meaning they can convert a significant amount of light energy into electricity. Additionally, they have a high tolerance to temperature variations, making them suitable for use in various climates.