PHP Constant Arrays: Is It Possible?

In summary, the solution to creating a constant array in PHP without having to reinitialize it every time you enter a function is to use a static variable. This variable will only exist within the function but will retain its value between calls. This method is demonstrated in the two functions provided, where the static variable is assigned a value on the first call and then simply returned on subsequent calls.
John Creighto
I was wondering if was possible to create a constant array in php so it doesn't have to be reinitialized each time you enter a function. I guess one solution is to make it global but from a code maintenance perspective it makes since to put the array in with the function that uses it.

Technology news on Phys.org
If I understand your question correctly, you might be looking for a static variable.
I used it myself in the following two constructions (incidentally, from the same file, so I'll post them both):

PHP:
	function connect_db() {	
		static $theDatabase = null;
		if(!$theDatabase) {
			global $databaseProperties;
			include("database.php");
			$theDatabase = new db($databaseProperties['dbname'], $databaseProperties['host'], $databaseProperties['user'], $databaseProperties['password'], $databaseProperties['persist']);
		}
		return $theDatabase;
	}

function getLanguageList() {
		static $languageList = null;
		global $db;
		if($languageList === null) {
			if(!$db) $db = connect_db();
			$languageList = $db->q("column SHOW COLUMNS FROM `TranslatedStrings`");
		}
		return $languageList;
	}

In both functions, the static variable only exists within the function, but not outside it. The value is kept between calls however. For example, I can call connect_db() as much as I like. The first time, it will create a new database handle, store it in the static variable and give it to me. However, every next time I call the function, it will see that the variable has already been assigned and will just return the value.

The second example is more similar to your question, that's why I included it. The first time, an array is initialized with some values from a database, a relatively slow operation. After that however, the function basically does nothing but "return $languageList;" where $languageList has the value from the first call.

Yes, it is possible to create a constant array in PHP. Constants in PHP are defined using the "define()" function, and arrays can be defined as constants by passing them as the second parameter in the function. This allows the array to be accessed and used within any function without needing to be reinitialized each time.

However, as you mentioned, using global variables can also achieve the same result. It ultimately depends on the specific use case and coding style preferences. Some developers may prefer to keep all constants in one file for easier maintenance, while others may prefer to keep them within the function that uses them.

In general, it is recommended to use constants for values that do not change throughout the execution of the script, such as configuration settings or fixed values. This can help improve code readability and maintainability.

Related to PHP Constant Arrays: Is It Possible?

1. Can constant arrays be created in PHP?

Yes, constant arrays can be created in PHP using the define() function.

2. How do you declare a constant array in PHP?

To declare a constant array in PHP, you can use the define() function and pass in the array as the second argument. For example: define("FRUITS", ["apple", "orange", "banana"]);

3. Can the values of a constant array be changed after declaration?

No, the values of a constant array cannot be changed after declaration. This is because constants, by definition, are meant to be unchangeable.

4. What is the benefit of using constant arrays in PHP?

Constant arrays can provide a convenient and organized way to store and access data that will not change throughout the execution of a script. They can also help prevent accidental changes to the data values.

5. Is it possible to create a multidimensional constant array in PHP?

Yes, it is possible to create a multidimensional constant array in PHP by passing in nested arrays as the second argument in the define() function. For example: define("STUDENTS", [["John", "Smith", 18], ["Jane", "Doe", 20], ["Bob", "Johnson", 19]]);