Physical chemistry: Energy operator and eigenfunction

In summary: I found something in the textbook that might be relevantÂ(x) Ψn(x,t) = an Ψn(x,t)Â(x) Ψn(x) e-it(E/ħ)= an Ψn(x) e-it(E/ħ)Â(x) Ψn(x) = an Ψn(x)The probability density is independent of time
ReidMerrill

Homework Statement

The energy operator for a time-dependent system is iħ d/dt. A possible eigenfunction for the system is
Ψ(x,y,z,t)=ψ(x,y,z)e-2πiEt/h
Show that the probability density is independent of time

Homework Equations

ĤΨn(x) = EnΨn

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I understand the concept of eigenfuntions but I don't really know which side of the equation I would apply the operator to or how it would prove anything about probability density

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Your relevant equation isn't :smile:. At least not here.

You need an expression for the probability density in terms of the probability amplitude ##\psi## and when you work that out you'll see the time dependence cancels; that's all.

ReidMerrill said:
time-dependent system
I don't think a time-dependent system (e.g. time dependent potential) always has such a separable eigenfunction, let alone the existence of the eigenfunctions. Are you sure it was not "time-independent"?

Agree with BL. Could you render the problem statement exactly as is ?

BvU said:
Agree with BL. Could you render the problem statement exactly as is ?
That was taken directly from the assignment.

Well, then I would claim that the given function is a solution and write down the probability density.

BvU said:
Well, then I would claim that the given function is a solution and write down the probability density.
I found something in the textbook that might be relevant

Â(x) Ψn(x,t) = an Ψn(x,t)
Â(x) Ψn(x) e-it(E/ħ)= an Ψn(x) e-it(E/ħ)
Â(x) Ψn(x) = an Ψn(x)
The time cancels out

ReidMerrill said:
I found something in the textbook that might be relevant

Â(x) Ψn(x,t) = an Ψn(x,t)
Â(x) Ψn(x) e-it(E/ħ)= an Ψn(x) e-it(E/ħ)

Â(x) Ψn(x) = an Ψn(x)
The time cancels out
Yes, fine. First thing you need is an expression for the probability density in terms of the probability amplitude ##\psi##. This is the third time I ask. Please answer by posting that expression.

BvU said:
Yes, fine. First thing you need is an expression for the probability density in terms of the probability amplitude ##\psi##. This is the third time I ask. Please answer by posting that expression.

Probability density= / ψ/2dx

Now fill in ##\psi## as given

PS wasn't the probability density just ##|\psi^2|## ?

BvU said:
Now fill in ##\psi## as given

PS wasn't the probability density just ##|\psi^2|## ?

That's from my notes but you're right. The dx makes no sense. It's not written in a comprehensible way in my textbook.

What is the energy operator in physical chemistry?

The energy operator in physical chemistry is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. It is denoted by the symbol "E" and is used to describe the energy of a particle or a group of particles in a given system.

What is an eigenfunction in physical chemistry?

An eigenfunction in physical chemistry is a mathematical function that satisfies a specific equation, known as the eigenvalue equation. It represents the state of a particular system and is associated with a specific energy value, known as the eigenvalue.

How is the energy operator related to eigenfunctions in physical chemistry?

The energy operator and eigenfunctions are closely related in physical chemistry, as the eigenfunctions represent the states of a system and the energy operator is used to calculate the total energy of those states. In other words, the energy operator acts on the eigenfunctions to determine the energy of a particular state.

What is the significance of the energy operator and eigenfunctions in physical chemistry?

The energy operator and eigenfunctions are fundamental concepts in physical chemistry, as they allow us to describe and understand the behavior of particles in a given system. They are used to solve equations and make predictions about the behavior of molecules and atoms, making them crucial for studying chemical reactions and properties.

What are some real-world applications of the energy operator and eigenfunctions in physical chemistry?

The energy operator and eigenfunctions have many practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and chemical kinetics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of molecules, study the structure of materials, and understand the dynamics of chemical reactions. They are also essential in developing new technologies such as solar cells and advanced materials.