Expected Energy Value of a Time Independent Wave

In summary, the wave function for a region with V=0 is ψ(x)=2αsin(3πx/a). Using the momentum operator, the expected momentum can be found by taking the second derivative of the wave function and integrating from -∞ to +∞. This results in an energy expectation value of E=(9πħ^2)/(2ma^2).
Send BoBs

Homework Statement

For a region where the potential V=0, the wave function is given by ψ(x)=2αsin(3πx/a). Calculate the energy expectation value of this system. Note that α and a are two different constants.

Homework Equations

ψ(x)=2αsin(3πx/a)
E=K+V=K
K=p^2/2m
∫ψ*Pψdx=Expected momentum, where P=p operator=-iħ∂/∂x and the integral is from -∞ to +∞

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy operator is time dependent and the given equation is time independent so I have to use the momentum operator. This should be okay because V=0 ∴ E=K. Once I have the expected momentum I can use it to find the kinetic energy.

I don't see any way to solve the integral with -iħ∂/∂x inside the integral. No matter what I do the -i will be left at the end result leaving me with no real answer.

I'm thinking that I could use the Energy operator if I set the operator in terms of momentum (E=K=P^2/2m) since V=0. This would square the i making it -1. But I'm pretty sure that it would still be time dependent and therefor be meaningless.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Send BoBs said:
The energy operator is time dependent
Is it ? Can you demonstrate that >

I think I got it.

If I Put the energy operator in terms of momentum then E=P^2/2m then the operator is time independent. Since the integral from -∞ to +∞ = 1 I can take the second derivative of ψ(x) and move the constants outside the integral. This leaves only the constants from the derivative multiplied by 1.

Final answer is E=(9πħ^2)/(2ma^2)

Since m and a are unknown this is good enough for an answer. Note that the constant a is not acceleration (the ma in the answer is not force).

What is the expected energy value of a time independent wave?

The expected energy value of a time independent wave is the average value of the energy of the wave over time. It is calculated by taking the integral of the energy density over all space and dividing it by the total volume.

How is the expected energy value of a time independent wave related to the wave function?

The expected energy value of a time independent wave is directly related to the wave function. It is equal to the integral of the square of the wave function over all space. This relationship is known as the Born rule.

What is the significance of the expected energy value in quantum mechanics?

The expected energy value is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents the most likely energy of a particle in a given state. It is also used to calculate the average energy of a system, which can provide important information about the behavior of the system.

How does the expected energy value change with different wave functions?

The expected energy value can change with different wave functions. Generally, the more spread out a wave function is, the higher the expected energy value will be. This is because a more spread out wave function has a greater chance of having particles with higher energy values.

Can the expected energy value ever be negative?

No, the expected energy value cannot be negative. This is because the wave function and energy density are always squared in the calculation, which results in a positive value. Negative values would not make physical sense in the context of energy.