Physical Chemistry Homework: Equilibrium Constant and Gas Properties

In summary, at equilibrium, the three gaseous compounds have the following partial pressures: A 2.10^5 Pa, B 8,98.10^5 Pa, and C 5,65.10^5 Pa. The average molar mass of the mixture is 39.2 g/mol.
krootox217

Homework Statement

I have the following task:

A chemical reaction 2 A(g) <-> B(g) + C(g)
has an equilibrium constant defined by: ln=0.8+ 1050/T−1,3.105/T²
a) What is K at 400K? Calculate ΔrG0
In a volume of 5L you get 2 moles of A and 0.5 moles of B. Reaction still proceeds at 400K. Consider the gas as ideal.
b) What are the amount of compounds when equilibrium is reached? What is the partial pressure of each compounds? What is the average molar mass of the gas mixture?
c) Calculate the kinetic energy of each gaseous compound.

I already have the solutions, but I can't find the right one for b)
K = 13.633
at equilibrium, Molar fraction of A = 0.12 ; B = 0.54 ; C = 0.34
Therefore Partial pressure of A = 2.10^5 Pa ; B = 8,98.10^5 Pa ; C = 5,65.10^5 Pa
average molar mass of mixture : 39.2 g/mol
Ek A = 1,497 kJ ; B = 6,734 kJ ; C = 4,24 kJ

I get the right value for K, and then I tried it this way:

A=2mol-2x
B=0.5mol+x
C=x

13.6=K=(product)/(starting material)=((x)*(0.5+x))/(2-2x) --> x=0.8542

and then I calculated 2mol-2*X= 0.2916 mol
0.2916mol/2.5 mol = 0.12 = molar fraction of A
and I got the right fractions for B and C, and also the right partial pressures

but how do i calculate the average molar mass of the mixture?

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Physics news on Phys.org
Weighted average. For given T, P conditions density of an ideal gas depends on its molar mass. For every density there exist an equivalent molar mass - for example for air (approx 80% N2 and 20%O2) the average molar mass is 28.8 g/mol.

To get the average molar mass, you need to know that molar masses of each individual species. Do they give you that info in the problem statement?

No, they don't. Therefore I assume they made a mistake, thanks for the help

Maybe they just expect you to express it algebraically.

By the way, in this equation: 13.6=K=(product)/(starting material)=((x)*(0.5+x))/(2-2x)

that (2-2x) should be squared.

I don't think so since they gave an exact value in the solutions.

And yes, I did it correctly but made the miskake when I posted it here, thank you

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that studies the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level. It combines principles and concepts from physics and chemistry to understand and explain the behavior of matter.

2. What are some examples of physical chemistry tasks?

Some examples of physical chemistry tasks include studying the properties of gases, understanding the behavior of chemical reactions, investigating the structure and properties of materials, and analyzing the thermodynamic properties of substances.

3. How is physical chemistry different from other branches of chemistry?

Physical chemistry differs from other branches of chemistry in that it focuses on the physical properties and behavior of matter, rather than its composition or reactions. It also uses mathematical and theoretical approaches to understand and explain these properties.

4. What skills are needed for a physical chemistry task?

To successfully complete a physical chemistry task, one needs a strong understanding of chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Additionally, skills in data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving are crucial in this field.

5. What are some real-world applications of physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry has many real-world applications, such as developing new materials for use in technology and industry, designing more efficient energy storage systems, creating new pharmaceutical drugs, and understanding atmospheric chemistry and its impact on the environment.