Equilibrium Constant for Alcohol and Acetic Acid Reaction at 25°C | Homework

In summary: K=\frac{[D]}{[A] [C]} ##. ## \\ ##Assuming I got the right answer, this problem, because... ## \\ ## 1) the equilibrium constant equation needs concentrations in the form of ## x ## moles per ## y ## liters, or ## 1-x ## moles per ## y ## liters; and 2)
harambe

Homework Statement

One mole of pure ethyl alcohol was treated with one mol of pure acetic acid at 25 °C.One third of acid changes into ester at equilibrium The equilibrium constant for the reaction will be

Homework Equations

C2H5OH+CH3COOH------>C2H5COOCH3[/B]
K={A}^m{B}n/{C}^x{D}^z where m,n, x, z are the concentrations of the reactants respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At equilibrium ,I got the concenterations of alcohol and acetic acid to be 1-x and ester to be x where x is dissociation constant. Now I equated 1-x=3x as per the information in the question but got the wrong answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Beginning with one mole of ## C_2H_5 OH ## and one mole of ## H C_2 H_3 O_2 ##, you need the volume of the final product.## \\ ## I presume these are all in a homogeneous solution. The exponents on the concentrations are all equal to 1, but the equilibrium constant equation needs concentrations in the form of ## x ## moles per ## y ## liters, or ## 1-x ## moles per ## y ## liters. ## \\ ## They give you ## x=\frac{1}{3} ##, but you first need to find the final volume ## y ##. ## \\ ## In the final product, you have 2/3 mole of each of the reactants remaining, and 1/3 mole of ester. You need to find the volume of these 3 components, and the total volume should be the sum of these 3. ## \\ ## And the reaction is in the form ## A+C \rightarrow D ##. Thereby ## K=\frac{[D]}{ [A] [C]} ##. ## \\ ## (I tried to use ## B ## in the reaction, but ## B ## inside the "[ ]" kept instructing the Latex to print bold, and it would not give a ## B ## there. It must be some special command).

Last edited:
harambe said:

Homework Statement

One mole of pure ethyl alcohol was treated with one mol of pure acetic acid at 25 °C.One third of acid changes into ester at equilibrium The equilibrium constant for the reaction will be

Homework Equations

C2H5OH+CH3COOH------>C2H5COOCH3[/B]
K={A}^m{B}n/{C}^x{D}^z where m,n, x, z are the concentrations of the reactants respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

At equilibrium ,I got the concenterations of alcohol and acetic acid to be 1-x and ester to be x where x is dissociation constant. Now I equated 1-x=3x as per the information in the question but got the wrong answer [/B]
That reaction equation you wrote is not a balanced chemical reaction equation. You are missing a reaction product. No wonder you couldn't solve this.

Likes Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
That reaction equation you wrote is not a balanced chemical reaction equation. You are missing a reaction product. No wonder you couldn't solve this.
@Chestermiller I'm also interested in this one, but I only had a very little bit of organic chemistry. Question: When an alcohol is mixed with an acid to get an ester, is ## H_2 O ## normally also one of the products? And from a google, that appears to be the case: https://sites.google.com/site/chemistryolp/formation-of-esters ## \\ ## Additional item: If the equilibrium constant takes the form ## K=\frac{[C][D]}{[A][B']} ##, the final volume will cancel out of the calculation.

Last edited:
Likes harambe
Charles Link said:
@Chestermiller I'm also interested in this one, but I only had a very little bit of organic chemistry. Question: When an alcohol is mixed with an acid to get an ester, is ## H_2 O ## normally also one of the products? And from a google, that appears to be the case: https://sites.google.com/site/chemistryolp/formation-of-esters ## \\ ## Additional item: If the equilibrium constant takes the form ## K=\frac{[C][D]}{[A][B']} ##, the final volume will cancel out of the calculation.
Hi Charles. Yes, when an acid and an alcohol react, the products are an ester and water. Regarding volume, it seems that, in the absence of additional information, the only reasonable approximations is that the final- and the initial volumes are equal.

Likes harambe and Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
Hi Charles. Yes, when an acid and an alcohol react, the products are an ester and water. Regarding volume, it seems that, in the absence of additional information, the only reasonable approximations is that the final- and the initial volumes are equal.
In determining the equilibrium constant, if I'm not mistaken, all that is needed is the final volume. ## \\ ## ## [A] ## is the final concentration, (using the final volume), and the same with B, C, and D. Thereby, algebraically the volume drops out of the expression. ## \\ ## Assuming I got the right answer, this problem, because the volumes cancel, becomes simple arithmetic.

Likes harambe
Okay so the reaction is C2H5OH+Ch3COOH------>CH3COOC2H5 +H2O.

But still it gives me wrong answer . ...

harambe said:
Okay so the reaction is C2H5OH+Ch3COOH------>CH3COOC2H5 +H2O.

But still it gives me wrong answer . ...
What answer did you get?

Likes harambe
1/9

Wait. . How is x=1/3 like you have quoted @Charles Link . Shouldn't the expression be 1/3rd of concentration if carboxylic acid equal to ester giving us

1-x/3 = x

Solci g this gives us x=1/4

harambe said:
1/9
## x =1/3 ## moles of the ester are formed with 2/3 moles remaining of each of the reactants. And of course you get 1/3 mole of ## H_2 O ##. ## \\ ## Try computing the answer for ## K ## one more time.

Likes harambe and Chestermiller
Okay. Upon reading the question carefully ,I think I got the mistake now .. . x=1/3 was the concenteration of ester at equilibrium No need for the weird calculation I did

Thanks for the help

harambe said:
Okay. Upon reading the question carefully ,I think I got the mistake now .. . x=1/3 was the concenteration of ester at equilibrium No need for the weird calculation I did

Thanks for the help
For completeness, please tell us the answer you got.:smile: We can at least verify it.

Likes harambe
Charles Link said:
Please tell us the answer you got.:smile: We can at least verify it.
Yes, and show us how you calculated K.

Likes harambe and Charles Link
Okay.

Like we agreed the reaction is
CH3COOH +C2H5OH -----> CH3COOC2H5+ H2O (1-x) (1-x) (x) (x)

Snce x=1/3 therefore concenterations become

CH3COOH +C2H5OH -----> CH3COOC2H5+ H2O (2/3) (2/3) (1/3) (1/3)

Putting them in the expression of
[tex]K=\frac{[C][D]}{[A][ B]}[/tex] I get K=1/4

Likes Charles Link and Chestermiller
Charles Link said:
(I tried to use ## B ## in the reaction, but ## B ## inside the "[ ]" kept instructing the Latex to print bold, and it would not give a ## B ## there. It must be some special command).

This happens with several other capital letters inside square bracketswhich Latex interprets as instructions. Just put a space before the B. I think if you press reply you can see the code in the following:

##[A][ B][C]##

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the equilibrium constant for the reaction between alcohol and acetic acid at 25°C?

The equilibrium constant, also known as Keq, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium for a given reaction. In this case, the equilibrium constant for the reaction between alcohol and acetic acid at 25°C is equal to the concentration of the products (acetic acid and water) divided by the concentration of the reactants (alcohol and water).

2. How is the equilibrium constant affected by changes in temperature?

The equilibrium constant is affected by changes in temperature according to Le Chatelier's principle. An increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic direction, resulting in an increase in the value of Keq. Conversely, a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the exothermic direction, resulting in a decrease in the value of Keq.

3. How does the equilibrium constant relate to the position of equilibrium?

The equilibrium constant is a quantitative representation of the position of equilibrium. A higher value of Keq indicates that the equilibrium favors the formation of products, while a lower value indicates that the equilibrium favors the formation of reactants. The position of equilibrium can also be affected by factors such as concentration, pressure, and temperature.

4. What factors can affect the value of the equilibrium constant?

The value of the equilibrium constant can be affected by temperature, pressure, and concentration. Additionally, the presence of a catalyst or changes in the reaction conditions (such as pH or solvent) can also affect the value of Keq.

5. How is the equilibrium constant calculated from experimental data?

The equilibrium constant can be calculated from experimental data by measuring the initial concentrations of reactants and products, as well as the equilibrium concentrations of each species. These values can then be used to calculate the equilibrium constant using the equation Keq = [products] / [reactants]. Alternatively, the equilibrium constant can also be calculated from the equilibrium constant expression using the equilibrium concentrations of each species.