Physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles

In summary, the speaker is confused about the concept of physically relevant real parameters and how they relate to specifying a quantum system. They are also unsure about the meaning of global phase and local phase and how they play a role in describing a state of k half spin electrons. The speaker is seeking clarification and more context from a material provided by their instructor.
lazayama
I am having trouble to understand what it means by "physically relevant real parameters" and how does it help us to specify a quantum system.

Let say, we have a state of k half spin electrons? My guess is about the local phase of the spin, and this would make it 2^k parameters since each electron has 2 parameters?

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Could you give an example of what you mean by parameters here? Perhaps for a system of 2 or 3 electrons.

Are you talking about the dimension of the Hilbert space of spin states?

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for helping!
The book I am looking has mentioned something like global phase / local phase but I don't quite understand, and how does it related to physical REAL parameter and also describe the state of k half spin electron quantum system?

lazayama said:
The book I am looking
Which book? You will get way better and more helpful answers if we have more context here.

Likes vanhees71
This is not a published book but a material our instructor gave us, and there is a problem asking us about this, so I am quite confused.
Sorry about the confusion as well!

lazayama said:
I am having trouble to understand what it means by "physically relevant real parameters"

If we are unable to look at what "it" says directly, I have no idea how to help with this. Are the materials you refer to online? Or can you at least quote more context from them?

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a spin 1/2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle is a type of elementary particle that has a spin quantum number of 1/2. This means that it has half-integer spin, which is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum.

2. What are physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles?

The physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles include their spin quantum number, magnetic moment, and gyromagnetic ratio. These parameters provide information about the particle's spin and how it interacts with external magnetic fields.

3. How are physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles measured?

Physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles are typically measured using experimental techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or electron spin resonance (ESR). These techniques involve applying external magnetic fields to the particles and observing their response.

4. What is the significance of spin 1/2 particles in physics?

Spin 1/2 particles play a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. They are essential components of the Standard Model, which is the most comprehensive theory we have for describing the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. Can the physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles change?

No, the physical parameters for spin 1/2 particles are intrinsic properties that do not change. However, the orientation of a particle's spin can change in the presence of external magnetic fields, which can affect its physical behavior.