Physical Pendulumn HW question

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, a physical pendulum is a three-dimensional pendulum with a more complex motion compared to a simple pendulum. Its period is affected by factors such as length, mass distribution, and force of gravity, and can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd). Physical pendulums are used in scientific experiments to study oscillations and measure acceleration due to gravity, as well as in engineering applications.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-1_0-8-36.png

Homework Equations

T = sqrt(mgL/I)

The Attempt at a Solution

my calculated Inertia (I) = 1/3(m/2)L^2 + (m/2)L^2
my distance (d) = L/2
m is just total mass

so, T = 2pi * sqrt(mgd/I) = 2pi sqrt(4L/(3g)) which is wrong :(

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-1_0-8-36.png
    upload_2018-3-1_0-8-36.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 465
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time period is Given by: $$ T = 2\pi \sqrt{ \frac { I \theta } { \tau } }$$
Also Where is the Center of mass? Are you sure it is at ##\frac {L} {2}##. Take the torque about that.

Related to Physical Pendulumn HW question

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a pendulum that has a physical, three-dimensional shape. This is in contrast to a simple pendulum, which has a mass at the end of a massless, one-dimensional string or rod.

2. How does a physical pendulum differ from a simple pendulum?

A physical pendulum has a more complex motion compared to a simple pendulum due to its three-dimensional shape. It also has a different period of oscillation and different equations of motion.

3. What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is affected by its length, mass distribution, and the force of gravity. Other factors that may affect the period include air resistance and the amplitude of the swing.

4. How do you calculate the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

5. What is the use of a physical pendulum in scientific experiments?

Physical pendulums are used in experiments to study the principles of oscillations and to measure the acceleration due to gravity. They are also used in engineering applications, such as in the design of suspension systems and clock mechanisms.