Physical question about Phonons

In summary, by hitting a solid object, you are able to create acoustic, optical, or both types of phonons. You can excite only specific phonon types by hitting the object in the right way.
CGandC
TL;DR Summary
If I hit some material/give any energy to it, are phonons created?
Hi,

I have a question regarding Phonons and daily experience:

Let's say I have a table and I hit it, does it mean Phonons were created where I've hit on the table?

Meaning: By hitting the table, I'm giving energy to it, this energy goes to the motion of the table atoms, and this motion of the atoms is translated to Phonon motion ( so I've created Phonons )?

Another question: Phonons represent collective and ordered motion of atoms , meaning - Phonons represent normal modes. Therefore, if the motion of the table atoms is looking random after I've hit the table, then this just means that I've created Phonons with various normal modes, and the superposition of these normal modes gives me the random-looking motion of the table atoms. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phonons are the quasiparticles referring to the quantized collective vibrations of your body. Each mode is equivalent to an harmonic oscillator, which is the most simple system to be quantized. If you hit your table sound-waves travel through it, and that's why the quanta of these vibrational modes are calle "phonon", which you could roughly translate as "sound particle", but you must not think of phonons as pointlike localized particles. As this example shows it's rather a collective excitation of your table. The macroscopic sound wave also is of course not an excitation of a few phonons (i.e., a Fock state) but rather a coherent state. Which is a specific superposition with an indetermined number of phonons. So in some sense you can say you have "created phonons" but in a very specific sense.

Likes CGandC
The Phonons I'm creating by hitting the table are acoustic, optical or both? , generally how can I choose for example to arouse only one specific type of phonon?

Also, is it more precise to say that by hitting the table - I am 'exciting' Phonons rather than 'creating' them?

1. What are phonons?

Phonons are quasiparticles that represent the vibrational modes of a crystal lattice. They are responsible for the transmission of heat and sound in solids.

2. How are phonons different from other particles?

Unlike fundamental particles, phonons are collective excitations of the crystal lattice and do not have a definite position or momentum. They also have a quantized energy spectrum, similar to photons.

3. What is the relationship between phonons and temperature?

Phonons are directly related to the temperature of a material. As the temperature increases, the number of phonons also increases, leading to an increase in thermal conductivity and sound propagation.

4. How do phonons affect the properties of materials?

Phonons play a crucial role in determining the thermal and electrical conductivity, as well as the mechanical and optical properties of materials. They also contribute to phenomena such as superconductivity and thermal expansion.

5. Can phonons be observed experimentally?

Yes, phonons can be observed experimentally through techniques such as inelastic neutron scattering and Raman spectroscopy. These methods allow for the measurement of phonon energies and their dispersion relations.