Physical significance of nodes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of nodes in QM and how the number of nodes depends on the energy of the particle. It is mentioned that there is nothing physically special about the points that act as nodes, and they can be changed by altering the energy of the particle. An analogy is given using classical physics to explain this concept. It is also mentioned that energy is not unique, and different bases can be used to describe it.
Sheldon Cooper
Hi,

II have an issue with nodes in QM, like suppose in a well, the number of nodes depend on (n-1), the thing is that, what is so special(physically) about the point that the particle cannot be located there?

Thanks is advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sheldon Cooper said:
the thing is that, what is so special(physically) about the point that the particle cannot be located there?
Nothing is special about those points. You can make any point be a node or not be a node just by changing the energy of the particle, which tells us that it's the energy that matters and not some properties of the points in space where the nodes happen to be.

An analogy from classical physics: A planet will pass through some points in space and not others as it moves around the sun. That doesn't make the points along the orbit special; the planet is just going where Newton's laws say it will go and not going anywhere else.

Nugatory said:
Nothing is special about those points. You can make any point be a node or not be a node just by changing the energy of the particle, which tells us that it's the energy that matters and not some properties of the points in space where the nodes happen to be.

An analogy from classical physics: A planet will pass through some points in space and not others as it moves around the sun. That doesn't make the points along the orbit special; the planet is just going where Newton's laws say it will go and not going anywhere else.

While I do agree that nodes aren't special, I think you're mistaken about the energy bit, you can always refine a Hamilton by adding cI where I is unity and c is a real constant, this will change all observable energies by c but will not alter the eigenbasis, that is energy is not unique, basis are

nashed said:
While I do agree that nodes aren't special, I think you're mistaken about the energy bit, you can always refine a Hamilton by adding cI where I is unity and c is a real constant, this will change all observable energies by c but will not alter the eigenbasis, that is energy is not unique, basis are
Yes, that's right... I could have said ##p^2## to be more accurate.

Perfect cancellation of right moving and left moving waves.

What is the physical significance of nodes?

The physical significance of nodes refers to their role in determining the behavior of a physical system. In general, nodes are points or regions in a system where certain physical quantities, such as temperature or pressure, are constant or undergo a change in behavior.

How do nodes affect the behavior of a physical system?

Nodes can significantly impact the behavior of a physical system by defining the boundaries or constraints within which the system operates. They can also determine the patterns and modes of energy transfer within the system, as well as the distribution of physical quantities within the system.

What are the different types of nodes in a physical system?

There are several types of nodes that can exist in a physical system, such as fixed nodes, free nodes, and constrained nodes. Fixed nodes are points where a physical quantity remains constant, while free nodes are points where the physical quantity can vary. Constrained nodes are points where the physical quantity is restricted by external factors or forces.

How are nodes identified and studied in a physical system?

Nodes can be identified and studied through various methods, such as mathematical modeling, experimental measurements, and computer simulations. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the behavior of nodes and their impact on the overall behavior of a physical system.

What are some real-world examples of nodes in physical systems?

Nodes can be found in various physical systems, from simple ones like a vibrating guitar string to complex ones like an electrical circuit. Other examples include nodes in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and acoustics. Nodes can also be observed in biological systems, such as the nodes of Ranvier in nerve cells.