Physical significance of wave function

In summary, the wave function in quantum mechanics is a means for representing probabilities for measuring physical quantities related to a system. It is a probability density and can be found through normalization. However, it does not have a physical meaning itself and cannot be directly measured.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am a beginner in quantum mechanics. I started out with D. J. Griffiths' book in quantum mechanics.

I'm having a problem in understanding the wave function. What is the physical meaning of the wave function? I searched on the net but didn't get any good explanation. I understand that the square of the wave function represents probability density. I also understood the normalisation of wave function, but what is the wave function by itself? How can I experimentally find a wave function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
didn't get any good explanation.
there is none. No physical meaning. Nevertheless very useful (as in the Schroedinger equation)
I understand that the square of the wave function represents probability
In fact it is a probability density.

From the normalization condition ## \int \mathrm{d}^3 x \psi^*(x) \psi(x) = 1## you can see the wave function is in some sense the square root or factorization of a probability distribution, it is a means for representing probabilities for measuring quantities related to physical systems.

formodular said:
From the normalization condition ## \int \mathrm{d}^3 x \psi^*(x) \psi(x) = 1## you can see the wave function is in some sense the square root or factorization of a probability distribution, it is a means for representing probabilities for measuring quantities related to physical systems.
Yes, that I've seen. I was looking forward to whether it was a physical quantity which can be measured.

BvU said:
In fact it is a probability density.
Thanks for that, I had missed it!

1. What is the physical significance of the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle, describing its position, momentum, and other physical properties. It represents the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a particular location and time, and is used to calculate the probability distribution of the particle's position or other observables. In essence, it provides a way to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is the wave function related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of the wave function. It relates the change in the wave function over time to the energy of the system, and allows for the prediction of future states of the system. The wave function itself is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, and the two concepts are closely intertwined in understanding the physical behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can the wave function be observed or measured?

No, the wave function itself cannot be observed or measured directly. It is a mathematical construct that represents the quantum state of a system, and it only exists in the realm of theoretical physics. However, the effects of the wave function can be observed through experiments and measurements of observable quantities, such as position or momentum. These measurements are probabilistic in nature, and are determined by the wave function of the system.

4. How does the physical significance of the wave function differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, the state of a particle is described by its position and momentum at a given time, and these quantities are assumed to have definite values. In quantum mechanics, the wave function describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position or with a certain momentum. This means that in quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles is inherently probabilistic, and this differs significantly from the deterministic nature of classical physics.

5. Can the wave function be used to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems?

Yes, the wave function is a powerful tool in predicting the behavior of quantum systems. By using mathematical operations on the wave function, such as the Schrödinger equation, scientists can make predictions about the future states of a system and the probabilities of different outcomes. This has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computers and has greatly advanced our understanding of the microscopic world.