Physical temperature and antenna temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of temperature and its relationship to the spectral density of energy in a body. The speaker has some doubts and questions about this relationship and is looking for clarification. They mention a document they are reading and ask for suggestions on better resources. The conversation also mentions the concept of blackbody radiation and its role in understanding temperature.
Unconscious
I have read some documents on the subject, but until now, unfortunately, I still do not have a good understanding of them, most likely due to personal shortcomings that start from physics. In this regard, I would like to try here to expose some doubts that will almost certainly appear very stupid and basic, however I hope that someone has patience in helping me.

I refer to this document (if there is a better one, please tell me): https://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/faculty/nikolova/antenna_dload/current_lectures/L07_Noise.pdf

I start slowly, without immediately messing up an infinite number of questions. In the first paragraph I am told that a body at a physical temperature ##T_P##, by the mere fact of being at that temperature, has a spectral density of energy (for now it is not even said that it is energy that manifests itself in the form of radiation electromagnetic towards the outside) which is constant and equal to ##kT_P##, with k the Boltzmann constant having the value it has surely for deep physical reasons that I would not go into now. From here I immediately asked myself:

1. is it already an approximation? If this were not the case, every body would have infinite energy;

2. up to now, I have always translated in my head "a body is at temperature ..." with the picture "the average kinetic energy of the elementary constituents that compose it is equal to ...". Reading this document I am doubting that this picture is a bit too limited, because if I think of a star (towards which I can point an antenna) it does not seem reasonable to me that the physical quantity temperature should be interpreted as the average agitation of its elementary constituents, but more like something that is directly related to the total power it radiates (which I will have to worry about knowing how to measure, but for now I suppose I can).

If so, it almost seems that the only thing that has real physical significance is the total radiated power, thus saying that the temperature is that physical quantity that I define starting from the radiated power. And this confuses me, because it seems that you could have avoided this artificial construction and immediately speak in terms of power. What is the right way to see things? Thanks to those who want to try to help me on these simple matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you should study the blackbody. Especially the part about a cavity with a hole. It starts with the idea of a container with walls at a certain temperature, and then continues with analysis of what happens to radiation bouncing off those walls. Eventually, the energy distribution of the radiation depends on the temperature of the walls. You can say that the energy distribution of light leaking out is an indirect way to measure the temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body#Idealizations

Likes vanhees71
Thank you, I will read again with this in mind. Surely, I will come with other questions.

Unconscious said:
I have read some documents on the subject, but until now, unfortunately, I still do not have a good understanding of them, most likely due to personal shortcomings that start from physics. In this regard, I would like to try here to expose some doubts that will almost certainly appear very stupid and basic, however I hope that someone has patience in helping me.

I refer to this document (if there is a better one, please tell me): https://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/faculty/nikolova/antenna_dload/current_lectures/L07_Noise.pdf

I start slowly, without immediately messing up an infinite number of questions. In the first paragraph I am told that a body at a physical temperature ##T_P##, by the mere fact of being at that temperature, has a spectral density of energy (for now it is not even said that it is energy that manifests itself in the form of radiation electromagnetic towards the outside) which is constant and equal to ##kT_P##, with k the Boltzmann constant having the value it has surely for deep physical reasons that I would not go into now. From here I immediately asked myself:

1. is it already an approximation? If this were not the case, every body would have infinite energy;

2. up to now, I have always translated in my head "a body is at temperature ..." with the picture "the average kinetic energy of the elementary constituents that compose it is equal to ...". Reading this document I am doubting that this picture is a bit too limited, because if I think of a star (towards which I can point an antenna) it does not seem reasonable to me that the physical quantity temperature should be interpreted as the average agitation of its elementary constituents, but more like something that is directly related to the total power it radiates (which I will have to worry about knowing how to measure, but for now I suppose I can).

If so, it almost seems that the only thing that has real physical significance is the total radiated power, thus saying that the temperature is that physical quantity that I define starting from the radiated power. And this confuses me, because it seems that you could have avoided this artificial construction and immediately speak in terms of power. What is the right way to see things? Thanks to those who want to try to help me on these simple matters.
kTp is the power per unit bandwidth.
It is an approximation for low frequencies, up to Infra Red say. It does not agree with the spectral curves for optical and shorter wavelengths.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between physical temperature and antenna temperature?

Physical temperature refers to the actual temperature of an object or material, while antenna temperature is the temperature measured by a radio antenna. The two may not always be the same, as antenna temperature can be affected by factors such as electromagnetic interference and atmospheric conditions.

2. How is antenna temperature measured?

Antenna temperature is typically measured using a radio telescope, which detects the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object or the surrounding environment. The intensity of this radiation is then converted into a temperature measurement.

3. Can antenna temperature be higher or lower than physical temperature?

Yes, antenna temperature can be higher or lower than physical temperature. This is because antenna temperature is influenced by external factors, while physical temperature is solely based on the internal energy of an object or material.

4. What is the significance of antenna temperature in scientific research?

Antenna temperature is an important measurement in astronomy and atmospheric science. It can provide valuable information about the temperature of celestial objects, as well as the composition and movement of gases in the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How does antenna temperature relate to other temperature measurements?

Antenna temperature is often used in conjunction with other temperature measurements, such as infrared and optical measurements. This allows scientists to get a more complete understanding of the temperature and properties of an object or material.