Physicists' Earning adn Scope of INT MS with Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the career prospects of becoming a physicist. The individual is interested in pursuing physics for the love of studying nature and the universe, but their parents and friends are pushing them towards computer science as it offers higher salary prospects. The individual is considering a 5-year INT MS course in physics from an IIT and then pursuing a PhD to become a professor. However, it is noted that the salary of a physicist may not be as high as that of a computer science engineer. The individual wishes to convey this information to their parents to gain their support for their chosen career path.
AYPHY
How much do physicist earn cause i want to be a physicist. My parents and friends want me to taks CS as my subject and do B Tech. They say a CS engineers earn around (160,000-300,000)$ a year. And they also say there is no scope of a physicist in India.

Well I am confused so help me. I want to go for research not in CS and make money but they say money is necessary too. Now I'm thinking to take physics as my subject and go for 5 year INT MS course in some IIT (Indian Institute Of Technology). Should I go or not please reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what rank of physicist you are talking about. A full professor will earn more than a postdoc. But if you want to make a lot of money, physics probably isn't for you.

If your primary goal in life is to make money, your chances of succeeding could be better if you established business as a psychic rather than a physicist.

no i don't want to make money these are my parents words they say all about money. in reality i want to study the concepts of nature and this universe i am totally fascinated by physics role in nature and i could know the reality behind everything by science(physics) not by superstitious belief.

I have written this post just to know how much a physicist can earn and reply these to my parents so they also support me.I am thinking that later i will do PhD and then becoming a professor.

Last edited:
Translate 'physicist' into 'engineer', I am sure your parents would not disagree with that as a good career prospect.

Likes AYPHY

1. What is the average salary for physicists?

The average salary for physicists varies depending on factors such as education, experience, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists in the United States was $122,850 in May 2020.

2. What is the job outlook for physicists?

The job outlook for physicists is positive, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029. This is faster than the average for all occupations and is due to the increasing demand for research and development in fields such as renewable energy and healthcare.

3. What career opportunities are available for those with an MS in Physics?

A Master of Science in Physics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, and industry. Some common job titles for those with an MS in Physics include research scientist, data analyst, and engineering consultant.

4. Is it necessary to have a PhD to have a successful career in physics?

While having a PhD in physics can open up more opportunities for career advancement, it is not necessary to have a successful career in the field. Many physicists with a master's degree have successful careers in a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, and finance.

5. How does a degree in physics prepare students for other careers?

A degree in physics provides students with a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. These skills are highly sought after in many industries, making physics graduates well-equipped for careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science.