Physics as it Relates to Pedalling a Bike

In summary, cycling is an expensive endeavour where one may pay dearly for a savings of only a few grams. Those grams, when examined in relation to the mass of the rider as a whole, do not seem to be all that consequential, unless they are somehow "heavier" in certain spots than they are in others.
Ratfish
Hi, I was discussing cycling with my dear friend, Tim, and in no time at all we were at loggerheads with regard to weight savings as it relates to performance increases. Tim is of the opinion that "mass is mass" no matter where on the bike/person it is (controlling for aerodynamics etc.) but I am of the opinion that mass in certain places actually inhibits one's cycling ability much more than if the mass were in another location.

One example that I thought of was the mass of the crank arms, pedals, and shoes of the rider. A typical fit cyclist is probably cruising along the road at a pedalling cadence of, let's say, 100 rpm. The "rotational velocity" of the pedals, or whatever your might call it, isn't usually static as a person is probably accelerating and decelerating constantly, but even if it was, it seems to me that a person is needing to perform more work to rotate that extra mass around its axis than if the weight were, for example, located on Tim's not insubstantial gut.

Another option, I suppose, is that the force of gravity acting upon the front pedal's mass balances out the extra work needed to fight gravity on the way up for the opposing pedal.

The point of the discussion is that weight savings in cycling is an expensive endeavor where one may pay dearly for a savings of only a few grams. Those grams, when examined in relation to the mass of the rider as a whole do not seem to be all that consequential, unless they are somehow "heavier" in certain spots than they are in others, i.e. the crank arms etc.

Could anyone enlighten us further?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of a very thin hoop, which the wheel and tire approximate, the effective momentum is doubled. 1 gram of tire mass equals 2 grams of frame mass in terms of the effect on acceleration.

Static weight is predominately relevant when climbing a hill on a bike. Rotational weight is relevant when accelerating.

Beyond weight, other factors are crucial - perhaps even more so. The most, IMHO, is stiffness. The stiffness of a bike's frame, forks and cranks have a significant effect on how much of the cyclist's energy is preserved and transferred to locomotion. For this factor, some extra weight may be tolerable for the greater benefit of increased stiffness. (Of course, a stiffer bike is often less comfortable which impacts the efficiency of the cyclist but not that of the bike itself.)

1. How does pedalling a bike generate movement?

When you pedal a bike, you are using the principle of rotational motion to turn the pedals, which in turn rotates the gears attached to the wheels. As the gears turn, they transfer rotational energy to the wheels, causing them to rotate and move the bike forward.

2. What is the role of friction in pedalling a bike?

Friction plays a crucial role in pedalling a bike. It is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact, in this case, between the tires and the road. This resistance allows the bike to grip the road and move forward.

3. How does gear shifting affect the physics of pedalling a bike?

Gear shifting affects the physics of pedalling a bike in two ways. First, by changing gears, you are adjusting the ratio of the gear teeth, which affects the amount of force needed to turn the pedals. Second, by shifting gears, you are also changing the rotational speed of the wheels, which affects the speed and distance the bike can travel with each pedal stroke.

4. How do factors such as weight and air resistance impact pedalling a bike?

Weight and air resistance both play a significant role in the physics of pedalling a bike. The weight of the rider and the bike affects the amount of force needed to pedal and the speed at which the bike can travel. Air resistance, on the other hand, increases as the speed of the bike increases, making it harder to pedal and decreasing overall efficiency.

5. How does the incline of the road affect the physics of pedalling a bike?

The incline of the road affects the physics of pedalling a bike by changing the amount of work needed to overcome gravity. When riding uphill, the rider must use more force to pedal against the pull of gravity. Similarly, when riding downhill, gravity assists in pedalling, requiring less force and energy from the rider.