Physics behind making a mango milk shake

In summary, the mixer grinder uses electromagnetism to turn the blades that chop the ingredients, and the result is a milkshake with small pieces of mango and sugar.
starpower1824
TL;DR Summary
Trying to put into words the working principles of a mixer grinder
Hi Folks!I have limited understanding of physics. I am trying to put into words the working principles of a mixer grinder, specifically for making a mango milkshake. So far, these are the steps I have come up with:

1. You are craving mango shake. You have raw mango, raw milk and sugar.
  2. You slice up the mango in smaller pieces so that it's easier for the mixer to do it's job.
  3. You put that in the mixer container and pour in the milk and the sugar as required.
  4. You close the lid and attach the container to the mixer main body. You turn on the switch.
  5. The electrical energy carried by the AC current from "mains" is converted into mechnaical energy of the mixer blades by the mixer motor. The blades soon attain a stable speed depending on the speed configuration that you can set with something like a knob.
  6. The blades are pivoted, and as they rotate they cause the ingredients directly in contact with them to rotate due to friction. That rotation motion is passed on to all the ingredients which are in contact due to gravity and molecular forces.
  7. All the ingredients start rotating, and experience a centrifugal force which forces them to move to the extremes of the container since there's no opposing force. This causes a vacuum of sorts in the middle cylindrical region of the container.
  8. The vacuum results in a differential air pressure, which causes air to try to rush into the middle, resulting in a previously non-existent force in opposition to the centrifugal force. If an ingredient is not tightly bound, part of it might break off and fly into the middle.
  9. So the mango breaks into tiny pieces, small enough to mix into the milk and seem like a homogenous mixture. Same thing probably happens with sugar. If you put in another "more solid" ingredients like rolled oats, they'll break into smaller pieces but not neccessarily small enough to mix with milk and will probably settle at the bottom once the mixer is stopped.
  10. And your mango milk shake is ready!

Where am I wrong? What things have I gotten right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Is this for a schoolwork assignment? If so, I can move your thread to the schoolwork forums for you. Also, what references have you been reading to try to figure this out? It seems like the blade shape makes a big differency in the liquid/solid mixing vortices and chopping action.

Likes Delta2
The physics are electromagnetism , mechanics(for the motor that as you said converts electrical power to mechanical power) and fluid mechanics (for the air that surrounds the rotating milk mix and the rotating milk mix).
I believe you do a good work in describing in a qualitative way what is happening but if we are going to write down some equations we going to get lost, especial in the fluid mechanics part.

1. What is the science behind the blending process in making a mango milk shake?

The blending process in making a mango milk shake involves the principles of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. When the mango, milk, and other ingredients are blended together, they create a vortex that helps to break down the solid particles and mix them with the liquid. This process also generates heat due to friction, which helps to soften the mango and make it easier to blend.

2. Why does the mango milk shake become thicker and creamier after blending?

Blending the mango and milk together causes the proteins and fats in the milk to emulsify, creating a smooth and creamy texture. This is due to the shearing forces and air bubbles created during the blending process, which help to incorporate air into the mixture and make it thicker.

3. How does the temperature affect the taste and texture of a mango milk shake?

The temperature plays a crucial role in the taste and texture of a mango milk shake. When the ingredients are cold, the fats in the milk solidify, creating a thicker and creamier texture. The cold temperature also enhances the sweetness of the mango and helps to balance the flavors in the shake.

4. What is the role of enzymes in making a mango milk shake?

Enzymes are natural substances found in fruits like mangoes that help to break down complex molecules into simpler ones. In the case of a mango milk shake, the enzymes in the mango help to break down the fruit's fibers, making it easier to blend and creating a smoother texture.

5. How does the type of mango used affect the taste and consistency of a mango milk shake?

The type of mango used can significantly impact the taste and consistency of a mango milk shake. Different varieties of mangoes have varying levels of sweetness and acidity, which can affect the overall flavor of the shake. Some types of mangoes are also more fibrous than others, which can affect the smoothness of the shake. It's essential to choose a ripe and soft mango for the best results.