Physics / Biomechanics / Weightlifting Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the wobbling effect of a bar and its potential causes, such as the center of mass and moment of inertia. The conversation also delves into the biomechanics and muscle groups involved in stabilizing the bar. One participant shares their experience with similar oscillations in flying and using a scaffold tower. Overall, the conversation suggests that the wobbling effect is a result of a mismatch between the high load and low inertia of the bar, and could potentially be overcome with training and practice.
AnthonyLiardo
My questions is about the bar (not specifically) in this video:

I want to know from somebody who has a better mechanical perception than me why the bar has the effect of wobbling back and forth. I think it's because the center of the mass of the system (not including the person) is low and if the bar is a little forward or back it produces torque, and it seems that the lower the center of mass is, the more torque/angular acceleration is produced. Is this because r in [itex]\tau[/itex] = F [itex]\cdot[/itex] r is higher?

But if the center of mass is lower, doesn't that make the moment of inertia higher so [itex]\alpha[/itex] would be lower with the same torque? Or is it negligible because the bar weighs 5.4 lbs?

The reason I think so is because I have done this with a 45 lb. bar and it wasn't that unstable.

The biomechanics part of my speculation is to which muscles it really stabilizes. Because it's so wobbly, I think the muscles to push it over your face and over your stomach both have to be contracted so it stays in line. Which muscles would that be?

I really just want to discuss this, especially the moment of inertia, torque, angular acceleration part of the effect, with people so discuss with me please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give any definitive answers. All that I can say is that what I saw resembled what was known as "over-controlled oscillation" back when I was flying. It sort of means that the initial response to an imbalance over-compensates and thus sets up an "inverse imbalance" (my term, and probably not proper). That then results in another over-compensation in the other direction, and so on until the thing rips itself to shreds. It's one reason that computers are necessary to fly modern fighter planes.

I think the problem is the mismatch between the high load and low inertia of the bar. As the bar wobbles, the suspended load is little affected. The longer the straps, the less affected the weights are by the wobble, so they offer little inertial resistance.
Imagine instead pushing a large heavy box across a floor. Now try doing it holding roller skates, pushing the box with the wheels. The skates can move up and down quite freely, and a small error in applying the force horizontally will lead to large vertical movements of the skates.

This effect only happens when weights are dangling from the bar, I think. The poor lifter's muscles and control system are encountering a very unfamiliar situation because the masses are free to move horizontally over a significant distance despite the muscles detecting a large vertical weight force. Once there is any lateral movement in the arms (i.e. they stray from the vertical) the feedback signals are all wrong and the control goes unstable. It is something that I'm sure could be overcome with training / practice.

I have noticed a very similar thing when I first started using a cheap scaffold tower to paint the house. It would oscillate wildly when I was at the top as my legs desperately tried to counteract deflections - but in the wrong phase. Once my body learned to respond differently to the deflections (actually NOT respond) the problem went away and the oscillations were damped out.

sophiecentaur said:
The poor lifter's muscles and control system are encountering a very unfamiliar situation because the masses are free to move horizontally over a significant distance
It's not the masses, exactly, that move so easily; it's the line of action of the load.
despite the muscles detecting a large vertical weight force. Once there is any lateral movement in the arms (i.e. they stray from the vertical) the feedback signals are all wrong and the control goes unstable. It is something that I'm sure could be overcome with training / practice.

I have noticed a very similar thing when I first started using a cheap scaffold tower to paint the house. It would oscillate wildly when I was at the top as my legs desperately tried to counteract deflections - but in the wrong phase. Once my body learned to respond differently to the deflections (actually NOT respond) the problem went away and the oscillations were damped out.
I think this case is a bit tougher to handle. The lifter must respond: with his arms off vertical he has to deal with a huge moment. It's hard to combine fine motor control with large load bearing. It's more than just unfamiliarity; there's a very large gain in the feedback.

What is the relationship between force and motion in physics?

The relationship between force and motion is described by Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does biomechanics play a role in sports and exercise?

Biomechanics is the study of the movement and mechanics of living organisms, including humans. In sports and exercise, biomechanics is important for understanding the efficiency and effectiveness of movement, preventing injuries, and improving performance. By analyzing the forces and movements involved in a particular sport or exercise, biomechanists can provide valuable insights and recommendations for athletes and coaches.

What is the difference between static and dynamic weightlifting?

Static weightlifting, also known as isometric weightlifting, involves holding a weight in a fixed position without any movement. This type of weightlifting is often used for strength training and can help build muscle endurance. Dynamic weightlifting, on the other hand, involves moving the weight through a range of motion, such as in traditional weightlifting exercises like squats and deadlifts. This type of weightlifting is typically used for building strength and power.

Why is proper form important in weightlifting?

Proper form is important in weightlifting because it helps prevent injuries and allows for maximum muscle activation. By maintaining proper form, you can ensure that the targeted muscles are being worked effectively and efficiently. Additionally, proper form can also help improve your overall performance and results.

How does weightlifting affect the body?

Weightlifting has numerous benefits for the body, including increasing muscle strength and size, improving bone density, and enhancing overall physical performance. It can also help with weight loss and body composition by increasing metabolism and burning calories. However, weightlifting can also lead to injuries if not done properly, so it is important to always use proper form and safety precautions.