Biomechanics, center of mass of human body and balance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of toppling and falling due to the force of gravity and whether the human body is able to prevent falling by producing a counteracting torque through the muscles. It is mentioned that walking humans are able to change their support to prevent falling, but it is uncertain if trained individuals such as gymnasts and circus acrobats are able to maintain a position where the center of mass falls outside the base of support. The conversation also references a video and a patent related to creating an anti-gravity lean, but it is concluded that the human muscular system is unable to fully counteract the gravitational torque.
fog37
Hello everyone,
I know that the any object, human body included, when the vertical line from its center of mass to the floor falls outside the base of support, topples under the influence of gravity: the force of gravity produces a nonzero torque that rotates the body.

Is the human body able to produce, through the muscles, a torque that can prevent the falling even when the center of mass falls outside the base of support? I think so. We can change our body position to make sure the CM of mass falls within the base of support under the influence of an external push. But I an not sure if gymnasts, circus acrobats can maintain position where the CM is outside the base of support. All inanimate objects simply turn if the CM falls outside the support base.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
All inanimate objects simply turn if the CM falls outside the support base.
So do walking humans, but they change their support to catch the fall. Look up inverted pendelum model of walking.

I see. Thanks.
I thought that something like this (see below) may have been possible with sufficient training. But I guess our muscular system cannot counteract the gravitational torque.

upload_2017-10-27_6-55-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-27_6-55-12.png
    upload_2017-10-27_6-55-12.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,759
fog37 said:
I see. Thanks.
I thought that something like this (see below) may have been possible with sufficient training. But I guess our muscular system cannot counteract the gravitational torque.

View attachment 213850
There suerly is a making of that video on the net.

1. What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of the mechanical forces and movements that occur in living organisms, including humans. It combines principles from biology, physics, and engineering to understand how the body moves and functions.

2. What is the center of mass of the human body?

The center of mass of the human body is a point located within the body where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is typically located around the belly button and is an important factor in understanding balance and movement.

3. How does the center of mass affect balance?

The center of mass is directly related to balance. When the center of mass falls within the base of support (the area between your feet when standing), balance is maintained. If the center of mass falls outside of the base of support, it can cause loss of balance and potential falls.

4. How can biomechanics be applied to sports and exercise?

Biomechanics plays an important role in understanding human movement and performance in sports and exercise. It can be used to analyze and improve techniques, prevent injuries, and optimize training programs.

5. What factors can affect the center of mass of the human body?

The center of mass of the human body can be affected by various factors, including body composition (such as muscle mass and fat distribution), body positioning, and external forces acting on the body (such as gravity and external loads). Age, gender, and individual differences can also affect the center of mass.